Blood Pressure

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi All,

Whenever my BP is taken at my GP it is high (around 165/80) then they take it a couple more times to 'get a lower one' and usually settle for something like 145/80. This resulted on my being prescribed Elanopril as well as Indapamide. However, results on my own wrist monitor home tests consistently came up as about 130/80 and often lower. I suggested I might have White Coat Syndrome, where someone's BP becomes high just because they are having it taken by a professional (or white-coated person).

On the last occasion I took my monitor in with me and although these are often poo-pooed, I was allowed to make a comparison. I'd tested it at home just before going and it came up 'normal' but at the surgery it came up exactly at the same hightened result as theirs, indicating I do have WCS, which apparently is extremely common. This was entered on my notes and there was no need for a further prescription of Elanopril. I was also asked to take my monitor in whenever I returned.

These monitors cost around £20 so anyone who thinks they may have WCS might like to try the experiment and may find their BP is far more normal they doctors think.

Good luck,

Russ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you walk to the surgery or do you drive? The exercise could put up your BP as well.My husbands doc.had him sit and basically hyperventilate for a couple of minutes and hey presto his BP had dropped down to 'normal ' limits!!Lots of people suffer from WCS .

Knowledge is the key to control

Rick

Hey, the same thing happens to me, though it has become less so as I've got used to going. My blood pressure was constantly high at the health centre but then I wore a 24hr monitor and my blood pressure was found to be low rather than the high readings I was used to getting with the nurse. This isn't the most fascinating post I've ever done but things are not always what they seem (this post is still dull though!) :)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Sue,

I drive a bit then walk a bit but I would say that I'm quite calm and relaxed by the time I reach the surgery. I've also sometimes taken my BP at home after a bit of exercise and it's come up as 'normal'. Whenever I have it done at the surgery they always ask me to be calm and not even talk while they're taking it.

A pity it doesn't work the same with BS levels! I wish it did.

Russ<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugarless sue</i>
<br />Do you walk to the surgery or do you drive? The exercise could put up your BP as well.My husbands doc.had him sit and basically hyperventilate for a couple of minutes and hey presto his BP had dropped down to 'normal ' limits!!Lots of people suffer from WCS .

Knowledge is the key to control
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

sugar

Russ,
athanks for that. i suffer with WCS too. Liek Rick, they had me on a 24 hr monitor, and it was OK. Mind you, last timm ethey checked it, I had to wait 2 hours in teh waiting room, so I was practically asleep...and my Bp was fine. I think your solution is far better though!

Silvercat

Yes I definitely have WCS...went for a pre op assessment in December and my BP went sky high so they said rest for a while and they did it again and it went even higher!!!!!. My ECG showed abnormalities and they sent me for a heart scan where the doc said my heart showed no problems due to BP whatsoever and that I had WCS lol.

stephen day

hi, i suggest you use a monitor that takes readings from your arm above the elbow, as in my opinion these are more accurate, unless someone disagrees. steve

Abzlass

My doctor has said that the size of cuff can also make a huge difference. When I had my last medical I was told I had a dangerous level but when they re-tested it with a different cuff my BP was completely normal. When the doctor checked the cuff the nurse has taken my BP with she found that it was too small for my arm and therefore gave a totally incorrect reading. Hope this also helps.

Rach 8)