Blood Pressure

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
While we were at the Body Worlds exhibition on saturday, i took my blood pressure... i've yet to really understand exactly what each number means, i haven't read anything yet that's made it really clear what the numbers mean.
Can someone explain it in laymens terms?!

My blood pressure was 116/74... is that good? bad? indifferent?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Beat you to it Sue :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
thanks!

found this bit...

The first (or top) number is your systolic blood pressure. It is the highest level your blood pressure reaches when your heart beats.

The second (or bottom) number is your diastolic blood pressure. It is the lowest level your blood pressure reaches as your heart relaxes between beats.

That explains it nicely!

Apparently, a red blood cell can travel your entire body in 20 seconds! Learnt that at body worlds :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
its amazing is the body ,im just doing a biology uni course and its very interesting indeed :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My systolic BP dropped 10 points - 135 to 125 - by reduced carbing.

increasingly cynical

Those readings are good. The first one is the systolic blood pressure (blood pressure as heart is contracting) A reading of around 120 is normal for an adult, slightly below is slightly better. The 2nd reading is the diastolic pressure (blood pressure as heart is expanding ) 80 or slightly below is normal for an adult.

Congrats, your BP is healthy!