blood pressure

Dobbs

When I was diagnosed with T2 last summer my blood pressure seemed to be normal. A couple of months after diagnosis, and after starting Metformin, it appeared to have generally raised itself a good deal (no idea if there are any connections there, with stress, Metformin, or whatever). So my doctor put me on Micardis Plus (Hydrochlorothiazide), a small dose (40/12.5 once a day). Now, a good few months later, my blood pressure is normally around 125/85, which I believe is fairly OK, isn't it? and lately, since starting low-carbing, my blood sugar readings are much improved (most of the time).

I would love to give up the blood pressure pills, because I don't really like pills (though I'm resolved to stick with Metformin for the time being). Does anybody have any experience of this? Is it wise? I have a Boots blood pressure home testing device, so thought if I just check a couple of times a day and watch where the bp readings are going this should be reasonably safe... shouldn't it? :?
And please, nobody say: "check with your doctor". I have two doctors and they're nice but really not much use! I only started getting good advice and information when I found this forum!!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
What's wrong with "pills" in general if they're having the required effect? But if I had to choose between the two I'd be more likely to want to give up the Metformin than the hypertension meds, and pursue low-carb earnestly in lieu?! But I know nothing as I'm only a T1. :roll:

As for BP numbers, typical result for a resting healthy adult is around 115/75, so maybe your diastolic is a little high? I get 110/70 albeit with a cocktail of relevant medication!

Blackadder

Blimey thats a bot worrying.

MIne was averaged at 134/72 so I was put on 5g of Amapiril or whatever once a day and its now arount 125/70. I am pretty fit although I could use losing a stone in weight but I was told that average is up to an around 140/80....

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My BP was 204/88 when I was first diagnosed :shock: :shock: :shock:
The doc. said "I think you may have a problem!" - er - yes, I thought maybe he's right" :?
Gave me Ramipril + Amlodipine (apart from the other stuff for the diabetes); now down to around 120/64, mostly.

On reflection, it's a wonder that my eyeballs didn't pop out like Arnie's in Total Recall :roll:

... Jim

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Blackadder said:
Blimey thats a bot worrying.

MIne was averaged at 134/72 so I was put on 5g of Amapiril or whatever once a day and its now arount 125/70. I am pretty fit although I could use losing a stone in weight but I was told that average is up to an around 140/80....
Sorry, should have added the following: blood pressure varies from person to person according to a great many things including activity, lifestyle, diet, weight, medical conditions, genetic factors etc. Basically anything you can think of. It also varies throughout the day in an individual, and a reading you take is for that moment in time only, and may be quite different 5 minutes later.

An average is exactly that, an average, and as such depends on the sample size and content. It's a specific calculated statistic, nothing more. Perhaps the wrong term to use in a discussion about blood pressure?! :wink: