stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Morning all

I have a question that i hope someone may help me clear up, i have for as far as i can remember had high HbA1c readings highest being just a little over 9 last week i went to my GP to complain about the readings i take throughout the day and for the complete inability to lose even the tiniest amount of weigh despite being 6 stone over weight.

I have just had results yesterday from another HbA1c test done last week and even though i have no idea what they are (i did not speak to the Dr ) i have been told they are OK, my question is quite simple every time i take a reading on my meter it is never below 12 morning or night and two hours after eating regardless of the type of food i eat it is always around 16 even gone as high as 20.4 if my HbA1c is ok now does this mean that to get a good HbA1c i must be having hypos sometimes during the 24 hours possibly during sleep as i feel extremely unwell upon waking every day without fail to balance things out. On a positive note my GP is now sending me to see the community Diabetes team due to the inability to lose weight and severe fatigue and tiredness i am suffering from she even mentioned some form of injectable medication (not insulin to help me)

Cheers
Stillo

Geocacher

Yes, you could very well be having hypos without knowing. A person can be diabetic and also have reactive hypoglycaemia.

My HbA1C is good and doesn't show that I have both highs and hypos, I had to prove that to my GP by taking several BG readings through the day for a few days and presenting that to them before they had the sense to send me for a prolonged Glucose Tolerance Test. A seven hour test did show that after a high my blood sugar drops rapidly and down to a dangerous level. Exercise and stress both accelerate that process so I can also have hypos during the day.

Being aware of that means that I can plan meals and snacks to avoid the highs and lows. I tend to have whole grain carbs in the mornings when I'm more active, snacks through the day rather than lunch and then an evening meal that is high in protein so that I don't get a high or low in the night. That type of eating pattern may also help you to level out your highs and lows.

Track your BG readings to figure out what your pattern of highs and lows is and then adjust your eating so that you have a snack or meal before half an hour before a low would happen and adjust what you eat so that the foods most likely to raise your BG are eaten at a time when you will be awake and active and those less likely to raise your BG are eaten for your evening meal.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi Geocacher

As far as i know i have no lows during my waking hours i am always constantly in the middle to high teens i cannot understand how my HbA1c can be OK, im no mathematician but something quite clearly does no add up hence me asking if i may possibly be having extreme lows in my sleep as you are aware i cannot monitor my levels when i am asleep

Cheers
Stillo