Blood sugar 24 and rising! Helpp

cricketer

Ok well as title says, this is highest it has ever been for me, as i forgot to give some novorapid when i had lunch, i have just drank 2 litres of water and given some novorapid but its still going up! Will I be ok? :oops:

ClaireG 06

Can you phone your DSN for advice? Have you anyway of testing for ketones?

I would urge you to get medical advice. If you can't get hold of your DSN then i suggest you phone NHS Direct or get yourself to A&E.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Maybe go a bit more gently on yourself if you do this again. Maybe just take the insulin you should have taken for the meal and a glass of water. Everybody does this kind of thing. Glad you are okay and laughing about having to shovel down some biscuits. You did go back up okay, didn't you?

Cheryl

I use a pump & had my first ever set failure the other week. I hit 32+ (too high for my meter to read) & it wasn't fun. I just drank loads of water, had an appropriate amount if insulin to bring me back down & checked BGs & ketones every 2 hours. If it hadn't have returned to normal after 4 hours, I might have been a little concerned, but a few hours of high BG isn't going to do any major harm, as long as you get it down again within the lifespan of the insulin you take to correct it. It takes 5-ish hours for insulin to finish working in me, so there would be no point panicking until after then. After all, I'd rather be comfortable at home while it comes back down than sitting in A&E for no real reason. We live & learn every day with this disease, it's a right royal pain & it's invisible which doesn't help, but we persevere. Hope all is well now.