Blood sugar control after surgery

mindy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently had surgery on my left hand for trigger finger & Duputryens contracture both of which have a correlation with type 1 diabetes. Since Surgery my blood sugar has risen and remains high even after correction bolus. I am trying to eat normally but am finding this difficult due to the above. Is this normal?
I have had Type 1 for 43 years so I'd like to think I have a fairly good idea about diabetes management! I am aware that my recovery period may be longer than the average person. Any idea's?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had carpel tunnel release done last month and my levels were high for a daythen followed by a low day the day after

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi @mindy have you considered increasing your basal?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had similar surgery 10 months ago on my thumb. Have to say that this did not really affect my blood sugar. Type 1 for 50 years.

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
Over my 61 years as a type 1, I have had 3 caesarean sections and one other operation. Due to the increase in pain due to a very low pain threshold, I use initially a higher than normal dose of bolus insulin. If that isn't enough after a 3-4 days I increase my basal too. Always works. I do have a weird time during pregancy which is atypical and find my insulins needs drop substantially. I rarely trust the medical staff in these instances as they try to dictate what I should take and that amount is usually rubbish, in addition to putting me on a diabetic diet which would kill me. The best hospital I was ever in was Epsom, they asked my how long I had been diabetic which was 18years at the time, I told them and I took over management of my diabetes completely, both in terms of food and insulin, completely brilliant.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had 5 trigger finger ops done over the years and have had to take additional correction doses for a day or two after due to increased BG levels.
type 1 for 43 years