1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar control after surgery

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mindy, Feb 20, 2016.

1. mindy

mindy Type 1 · Member

I have recently had surgery on my left hand for trigger finger & Duputryens contracture both of which have a correlation with type 1 diabetes. Since Surgery my blood sugar has risen and remains high even after correction bolus. I am trying to eat normally but am finding this difficult due to the above. Is this normal?
    I have had Type 1 for 43 years so I'd like to think I have a fairly good idea about diabetes management! I am aware that my recovery period may be longer than the average person. Any idea's?

2. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had carpel tunnel release done last month and my levels were high for a daythen followed by a low day the day after

3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @mindy have you considered increasing your basal?

4. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had similar surgery 10 months ago on my thumb. Have to say that this did not really affect my blood sugar. Type 1 for 50 years.

5. jeb

jeb Type 1 · Active Member

Over my 61 years as a type 1, I have had 3 caesarean sections and one other operation. Due to the increase in pain due to a very low pain threshold, I use initially a higher than normal dose of bolus insulin. If that isn't enough after a 3-4 days I increase my basal too. Always works. I do have a weird time during pregancy which is atypical and find my insulins needs drop substantially. I rarely trust the medical staff in these instances as they try to dictate what I should take and that amount is usually rubbish, in addition to putting me on a diabetic diet which would kill me. The best hospital I was ever in was Epsom, they asked my how long I had been diabetic which was 18years at the time, I told them and I took over management of my diabetes completely, both in terms of food and insulin, completely brilliant.

• Like Like x 2
  6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I have had 5 trigger finger ops done over the years and have had to take additional correction doses for a day or two after due to increased BG levels.
    type 1 for 43 years

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook