Type 2 Blood sugar levels high

Billya1003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes and I am on a low fat, low carb, high fibre diet.
I found out I had diabetes after an operation to remove a tumour in my kidney in Sept.
In Jan I had to get doctor out as my hand was very discoloured.
He informed myself I had cellulitis, my blood sugar level were 22.4, heart rate was 170.
I was then put on metformin and have had the dosage increased twice but my levels are still very high.
Around 12.5 pre breakfast and around 19.6 in the evening
Any suggestions on what I should do

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is a low fat and low carb diet. Can you please help me understand what you are eating as from your description you must be starving unless you are eating lots of protein but I can't believe that with kidney issues.

The key to your numbers may just be what you are eating, but can't guarantee that. You may need to consider the impact of other medications you are taking. Some of them can have a major impact on glucose levels.

When did you last see your doctor about your numbers. They are high but not dangerously so short term.

Good luck with the doctor and ask whether your medications may be increasing levels if you are taking any

Billya1003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is adult consisting of lots of veg with some fruit, chicken, fish, pulses.
No red meat, no bread (apart from 4 slices of brown granary per week), no potatoes, no alcohol,
I see my GP every few weeks due to diabetes and my other illnesses
She wants to wait till I see diabetic nurse before modifying medications.