blood sugar levels in children

kimandnat

I have just signed up to this as I need information on blood sugar levels in children. I am a type 2 diabetic and I am stable and have been for a long time but I have noticed that my daughter drinks an excesive amount of fluids and complaining of being tired. So I took her blood sugar and it was 9.8. I have tryed to do a fasting one as I know this is the best time but oh no she wil not let me. Is there anything on the market that I can use instead of the needle prick and also what are the recommended levels in children.
any help will be grateful
kim

Heidi

Hey Kim,

I am a mum of a 12 yr old daughter who has been Type 1 for nearly 3 yrs now. Before she was diagnosed she was thirsty all the time for a period of about a month and it got to the point where she couldn't bear not having any moisture in her mouth. We as parents initially thought her tiredness was due to her lack of sleep as we had two incidents of bed wetting which she had never done even when a toddler but we thought this was because she was drinking so much and so tried to cut back on drinks, now we now that the drinking was the opposite to what we believed and was to replace the fluid she was losing from constant high blood sugar levels. We had disturbed nights which we thought were because she was worrying due to some girls being horrid to her at school, she also lost her round face etc that they have when they are young but we put this down to a growth spurt. I took her to the doctor when it got to the point of unbearable thirst for her, suspecting Diabetes as her paternal uncle is type 1. I have waffled enough now as could go on, but wanted you to know that I have experienced it to add value to what I say, on admission to hospital her blood sugar was 26 and they were amazed she wasn't a lot sicker than she was, needless to say we felt guilty for a long time for not taking her to the doctors sooner and still do. My advice to you is childrens blood sugar should be same as us between 4 and 7, whenever my son feels unwell or complains of symptoms that could be diabetes related I test his blood and it is always within the normal range. I would in your position take her to the doctors and get her checked out as it is so much better to find out one way or the other not only for your daughter so she doesn't become very unwell but also for your own peace of mind and worry. I am assuming she is not liking the finger prick but who can blame her hey! As far as I am aware there is nothing else you could use to test her accurately. When we went to the doctors initially they tested her urine, delightful holding a sample bottle under a 9yr old girl while she attempts to pee in it, and not a blood test so hopefully you won't have to go through a finger prick at surgery, they could see from her urine that she was diabetic as the result was so high and from there the nurse got a bit rushy roundy bless her, we spoke to the GP and then made our way to the hospital.

Hope this helps you.

Heidi

Katharine

I agree with Heidi that seeing a doctor and getting an oral glucose tolerance test would be the best way to find out what is going on.

JimmyD

Yep same, sorry see a Doctor. My daughter was same could not get enough juice, would not drink water and day before we went to doctors was even drinking water, wet the bed etc....

ChuckT

My 7 year old just got diagnosed today - which is why I'm online looking for support. No family history.

Similar symptoms to those described above: thirsty, lethargic, going to the loo in the night. Had a urine sample and fasting blood, with high levels, then a glucose tolerance test this morning: finished up at 26. She's been put straight onto insulin, and she hates needles.

This could be tough, but at least we've caught it early.

Talk to your doctor: Even if it's nothing, it's as well to check. We are aiming at levels between 4 and 7.

Chuck

JimmyD

Dear ChuckT

My daughter was diagnosed Dec 2007 at 3 and half so if I can help please ask.

What type of insulin is your daughter on?

JimmyD

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chuck,
My son Andrew was diagnosed too when he was 7, and he'll be 10 on Mon. He didn't like needles either, but honestly who does! We spent about 3months using a sugar free ice pop to numb his leg a little, then if he didn't make a fuss had the ice pop as a reward. Eventually after a year and a half we sent him to a diabetic holiday camp for five days and he came back doing them himself, even sent me a postcard telling me of his accomplishment, i was so proud i cried!
We still have the days where he hates injecting and recently bought Elma cream, bit like magic cream and numbs the area, though takes a bit of time to work. This is a great site and you will learn plenty, only wish i'd found it sooner.
Any advise you need regarding schools ect, theres plenty to help you, as for Halloween, let her go trick or treating if she's well enough and then divide her goody bag into a treat jar for hypos or for use before activities ie swimming ect, then fruits and nuts which she'll be able to eat as snacks.
Take care,
Suzi x

Katharine

My son enjoyed guising just as much post diagnosis as before. Both boys would collect so much booty they had to come home with it half way because they couldn't carry any more.

I suppose the difference was that pre diabetes I would just let them eat total **** (or was that total carbs ) all night. Sometimes they even got tablet ! Post diabetes Steven had to have a proper meal/ proper insulin and all that boring stuff. Most of the booty was eaten by his brother but some was kept for hypos/exercise cover.

The important thing if you identify blood sugar level in children then Helping your child achieve good blood sugar control can be challenging. Here are some tips if you are keen to control :

Make sure your child takes insulin or other diabetes medicines as prescribed.
Provide meals and snacks that fit into your child's meal plan.
Encourage your child to engage in regular physical activity.