Blood Sugar Meters

Blackadder

Hi,

I use the One Touch ULTRA 2 meter of which I have 2 of these machines. Does anyone else find discrepancies in blood sugar results?

For instance I could test twice in succession and get up to and around 0.8 difference. Its the same on both machines and I find it very much depends on the amount of blood and the speed of which the blood transfers down the strip. Can anyone confirm this as being the case? How much blood do you actually need?

Now Dr Bernstein says that the monitor you use should show the same result exactly but I don't think I have ever seen this happen.

Cheers
B

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Most meter manufacturers will tell you that there can be up to 20% discrepancy between tests using the same batch of strips and the same meter. This, apparently, is an industry agreed tolerance.

Regards, Tubs.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
even checking blood on different fingers can be a bit different, i think all monitors are probably a bit different :)

jopar

blackadder

Yes all meters can have a discrepancy, This not only happenes from diferent manufacturer but also from meter to meter...

The tollerance is excepted level, as otherwise metes would be too expensive to buy and maintain, as they would have to be calibrated constantly beyond the cabilbration of the test strip to ensure that acuuratcy was maintained...

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
you will also find usually if you test with the same meter twice from the same drop of blood that the readings can be different... As stated... they all have a tollerance margin.

candy1567

Hi

Hey your lucky to have a meter to test with, my gp says i dont need a meter even though my BS are erratic, my over all was 11 even though am stickin to diet and am on meds

Me now thinks that i need to buy one myself, but gp states that i cant get the testing strips on prescription even if i do buy the machine, saying that he prefairs to keep an eye on my bloods at the surgery

Have told him i need to find which foods are pushing me over the edge and want to test BS for elimination purposes but still no joy

Anyone recommend a good meter to buy

cheers

Trinkwasser

candy1567 said:
Anyone recommend a good meter to buy

cheers

While you are looking for a new GP <G> see what the prices are in your local pharmacy, unfortunately the test strips are expensive whatever you get.

Probably the majority opinion is for One Touch meters and the Accuchek finger stabber

http://mendosa.com/meters.htm

probably more information than you needed