1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar question

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Green Eyes, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Green Eyes

Green Eyes · Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you about my blood sugar levels. I'm very high in the AM. For the past 3 days very consistent. Between 10.2-10.4.

Yesterday for breakfast I ate some pork loin and a very small apple. 2 hours after that meal and after doing house work I only went down to 9.2.

For my lunch, I had some more pork with 2 tbsp tzatziki, 2 pickles, 2 mini naan and cucumber slices. Two hours later 8.6

Dinner was 1/2 cup brown rice with stir fry.. Two hours later 9.2. I ate a handful of mixed nuts before bed.

Woke up with 10.3 again.

Total carbs 50 for the day.

What changes do I need to focus on to bring my numbers down?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello @Green Eyes welcome
    I think you could be underestimating the amount of carbs you are eating.
    A quick search on Google. Sharwood's mini naan are 32g of carbs each, so 64g for the 2
    A cup of cooked rice is about 50g so your half cup = around 25g of carbs add the Apple and your already over 100g . Some pickles have added sugar and can be quite carby and then there's the nuts, again some nuts have a lot more carbs than others
    Have a look at Jo's nutritional thingy it should help https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Green Eyes

Green Eyes · Newbie

Hi Catinahat,

Thanks for the reply.

I was going by the bag label on the naan. 5 minis (serving) is 24 grams. And brown rice for 1/2 cup was listed as 24 g. But I'm only following back of package and carb app. Is there a better way to check carb count? I use measuring utensils too.

4. Lainie71

Lainie71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally I don't count carbs. I avoid any type of rice like the plaque and just salivate looking a naan bread as that would send my bg through the roof!

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. SuNuman

SuNuman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Basically if it is nice…..it will send your blood sugar throu the roof. No carbs at all is the answer but I find this very hard. Try cauliflower rice; I don’t mind that. Pure cauliflower so won’t affect your bloods. X

Edit for language.

• Funny Funny x 2
    #5 SuNuman, Oct 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2021
  6. miahara

miahara Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I suspect your carb counting may be a bit off, but much depends on how sensitive you are to carbs as some folk can tolerate more than others.
    Your lunch-time figure of 8.6 would delight me, but your early morning numbers would not, for me at least, be ideal ,and I' like you would want to reduce them. So, I suggest that as a starting experiment you cut the carbs in the evening meal and as SuNunam suggests cut out that rice and see how that works for you.
    If you don't find that reducing carbs isn't helping I suggest you have a word with your DSN or GP as it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you need medication or insulin to help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry Sue for the laugh there but the 'if it's nice' did make me giggle xx

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    #7 coby, Oct 5, 2021 at 8:49 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2021
  8. SuNuman

It’s sooooo true. Lol. X

9. SuNuman

Haha. They took out my ruddy with a b too. Terrible language for a lady lol. X

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook