Blood Sugar Readings

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just started testing my blood and I have a couple of questions.

Anyone have pro forma spreadsheet or similar which they can recommend to record what I've eaten and results?

Somewhere on here I have seen some figures about blood sugar readings but can't find them now.
Just looking for some ballpark figures to aim for regarding FBG and levels after meals,
EG tested before porridge 6.4
2 hours after was 7.1
What does that tell me?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @learning2me that is a difficult one to answer. Basically I would say that the porridge is ok but what you do need to know is how high did you go at the one hour mark. I do not like to go over 8.5 on my meter but do occasionally at the one hour point.

For my personal view point I do not "accept" fasting numbers above 5.6 (normal), but this came from the point in my journey that I started to test and already had my fasting returned to normal. My normal fasting is anywhere between 4.2 and 5.2 now.
To fight against this I always used to walk up and down the stairs 20 times at bed time to make sure my muscles were awake and soaking up glucose as I slept.

As regard to recording your food and readings I used to use a spreadsheet but this rapidly became to restrictive so I started writing a Java Program (linux/mac/windows) that allows you to record, graph, estimate, blood glucose, blood pressure, weight & waist. It is linked in my signature. If you read the thread the details of its use are written in there. I have started to write a user manual but haven't completed it yet.

If you have a look at my 3 month journey (linked in my signature) there are some food profiles I found and discussions of my journey

Reactions: 2 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @learning2me that is a difficult one to answer. Basically I would say that the porridge is ok but what you do need to know is how high did you go at the one hour mark. I do not like to go over 8.5 on my meter but do occasionally at the one hour point.

For my personal view point I do not "accept" fasting numbers above 5.6 (normal), but this came from the point in my journey that I started to test and already had my fasting returned to normal. My normal fasting is anywhere between 4.2 and 5.2 now.
To fight against this I always used to walk up and down the stairs 20 times at bed time to make sure my muscles were awake and soaking up glucose as I slept.

As regard to recording your food and readings I used to use a spreadsheet but this rapidly became to restrictive so I started writing a Java Program (linux/mac/windows) that allows you to record, graph, estimate, blood glucose, blood pressure, weight & waist. It is linked in my signature. If you read the thread the details of its use are written in there. I have started to write a user manual but haven't completed it yet.

If you have a look at my 3 month journey (linked in my signature) there are some food profiles I found and discussions of my journey
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply.
All good advice, and am I right in saying that you suggest doing pre prandial, then 1 and 2 hour post prandial tests.
Seems a lot of finger pricking.

I am having great difficulty sleeping at the moment - just wondering if exercise before bed would help or hinder with this?
I'm truly trying to juggle a lot of balls at the moment. Can't do any strenuous exercise due to Pulmonary Embolisms.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes I do pre-prandial, 1 hour, 2 hour and often 3 hours, but I only do it now when I have something unusual or pushing the envelope like tonight when I have had ciabata, cinnamon bun with icing on and chocolate ice cream (an hour after eating just to confuse things). Really dicing with the devil so I have been testing every 30 mins. I used to prick different fingers but now I always prick in the same place on the same finger.

I can't answer the question about sleep and if exercise will help. I never had issues falling asleep however my wife says I used to snore terribly and have sleep apnoea but now I do neither.

As you have other conditions you need to talk to your doctors about any exercise they recommend. I am sure they have already told you what you can do and what you mustn't do so stick to their advice in this area.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NICE recommended BS levels that the NHS follow are:

Non diabetics before meals 4 to 5.9, after 2 hours under 7.8
Type 2's before meals 4 to 7, after 2 hours under 8.5.

However, most experts agree these figures are too generous.

Reactions: 3 people