Blood sugar rising after set change.

jagger38

I have noticed that after most set changes, my blood sugar rises quite high. Today it was on 12.8 after two and half hours. I usually have to do a correction, or put on a temp basal to correct it. I only have it disconnected for a short time, so I am not sure why it does this. I never know if my set change has worked or not, and usually do a ketone check after two hours. This is always negative, so I am lost as to why this happens. After doing a correction, it returns to normal readings again, just wondering if anyone experiences similar problems? Thanks for reading.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I think this does happen.
First though make sure that you fil/prime your cannula with the correct amount. It does vary according to cannula.
Change sets before a meal , I try to do this and think it really helps.
Some people leave the old cannula in place for a couple of hours.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What sets are you using?

Rapid d's need to have the air oin the connectirs primed through and flicked out when insulin being primed through. It doesnt say this in the instructions or training from reps/dsn's...

zeelander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'
What sets are you using?

Rapid d's need to have the air oin the connectirs primed through and flicked out when insulin being primed through. It doesnt say this in the instructions or training from reps/dsn's...
I have noticed that after most set changes, my blood sugar rises quite high. Today it was on 12.8 after two and half hours. I usually have to do a correction, or put on a temp basal to correct it. I only have it disconnected for a short time, so I am not sure why it does this. I never know if my set change has worked or not, and usually do a ketone check after two hours. This is always negative, so I am lost as to why this happens. After doing a correction, it returns to normal readings again, just wondering if anyone experiences similar problems? Thanks for reading.

I've noticed that my sugars run higher after a pod change. I have two different temp basal settings to correct that which are pretty consistent to whenever I use that specific area in the body (40% leg basal for 6 hours, or 25% arm basal for 6 hrs). Not sure why it happens, but that's the way its been for past 3 years and seems to work. No one of my diabetes team seems to have heard if a similar case but lots of people report similar incidents in the online community.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have this too sometimes, I asked my DSN who advised the body sometimes has a shock reaction hence why it can happen although not necessarily every time or with everyone.

zeelander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have this too sometimes, I asked my DSN who advised the body sometimes has a shock reaction hence why it can happen although not necessarily every time or with everyone.

It started as an occasional occurrence for me. Now its at every pod change, and the temp basal I use is always the same, for the same duration. Wish it didn't have to be so.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine does this and it's a common problem. My DSN said it might be that the first bit of insulin through a new site is not as effective as the site needs a pool of insulin to work at it's best - or something like that!

Anyway I always leave old site in for 4 hours and put +150% basal on new site for 2 hours. Works well for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm the other way - BSs drop like a stone after a set change. We are all so different which is why this condition is so difficult to handle/predict and offering advice is always tricky,