FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi all,
I have now and then heard people saying they feel ill when their blood sugar spikes.
But 'ill' in what way?

I do sometimes feel hot, but my mother has the house heating on super hot until it's about 90 outside.
I sometimes feel sleepy after a meal - but I've always felt that now and then, I don't know if that's anything to do with Diabetes.
I've had bad headaches, but I thought that was due to the damage to the vertebrae in my neck, and looking at the PC screen for too long a time, or craning my neck to see the TV, or something.
Got a nasty pain in my back that spasms now and then, (had that before, thought it was a strained muscle.)
Plus a few more pains and discomforts...
So I don't know.

In what way, 'ill'?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't confuse all those "ills" with diabetes. Work out a program to stretch, get away from the PC for a bit or at least check posture.

I hope you're not fair dinkum about that temperature. 90F?

Reactions: 2 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't confuse all those "ills" with diabetes. Work out a program to stretch, get away from the PC for a bit or at least check posture.

I hope you're not fair dinkum about that temperature. 90F?
Probably a very slight exageration. o_O

I was just asking what kind of 'ill' people meant, when they said that the rise in blood sugar made them feel ill.

I do stretch, try to anyway.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably a very slight exageration. o_O

I was just asking what kind of 'ill' people meant, when they said that the rise in blood sugar made them feel ill.

I do stretch, try to anyway.
A year ago I had bgl levels from 15 mmoll/L right up to 33+mmol/L and felt as right as rain, I cannot tell when i am high at all. But thankfully I can tell when I am getting low. my bgl is now running between 3.7 and about 7.5 and I have reduced one of my meds.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fran, I can appreciate asking questions and wanting to learn more as that's exactly what I did after I was diagnosed.

With that said, many of the questions you have are easily answered with a basic Google search (Google "Hyperglycemia symptoms" for several hundred answers to this question).

Context clues should tell you that if it's 90* outside and the heater is on....that's probably the reason why you feel hot. Using the same thought process, if the stove is on, and my bare hand is touching it...that's probably why my hand hurts rather than wondering if it's diabetes.

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
About 3 months ago, I had hugely high numbers up from 15-30 mmol. I was so hot I used to sit in the house in just shorts while the rest of the family were wrapped up......they thought I was freakish !!! I also wondered if this was symptomatic of diabetes, as now I have my sugars under control and am just as cold as everyone else....

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 3 months ago, I had hugely high numbers up from 15-30 mmol. I was so hot I used to sit in the house in just shorts while the rest of the family were wrapped up......they thought I was freakish !!! I also wondered if this was symptomatic of diabetes, as now I have my sugars under control and am just as cold as everyone else....
Now, THAT is much more likely to have been the result of diabetes.

With levels elevated that high, your organs were working extremely hard trying to circulate your blood so your kidneys could filter out the excess glucose in your blood. Basic physics tells us that heat is a by-product of work. Therefore, it makes sense to consider that you felt hot because of your diabetes.

Note: I felt that way too in the months leading up to my diagnosis.

Reactions: 6 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just noticed that I seemed to feel hotter, like a 'hot flush', just after eating some things. I ought to test now I've got more strips. If I could just remember what things.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just noticed that I seemed to feel hotter, like a 'hot flush', just after eating some things. I ought to test now I've got more strips. If I could just remember what things.

You need to keep a food diary, record your levels alongside, and make notes of things like "hot flush". That's the best way to learn.

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Now, THAT is much more likely to have been the result of diabetes.

With levels elevated that high, your organs were working extremely hard trying to circulate your blood so your kidneys could filter out the excess glucose in your blood. Basic physics tells us that heat is a by-product of work. Therefore, it makes sense to consider that you felt hot because of your diabetes.

Note: I felt that way too in the months leading up to my diagnosis.
Many thanks for the explanation Torq......makes perfect sense. My GP didn't come up with any such explanation and dismissed it.
Proves once again that the forum is an invaluable resource !!

Griffter15

Quite a strange one for me but I'm prone to infections where my wisdom teeth are coming through. If my bg levels are in the teens for a couple of hours the infection starts to flare up sometimes.

Other than that I don't get any noticeable symptoms but somehow I can usually 'sense it' which probably just comes from years of experience

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fran, I can appreciate asking questions and wanting to learn more as that's exactly what I did after I was diagnosed.

With that said, many of the questions you have are easily answered with a basic Google search (Google "Hyperglycemia symptoms" for several hundred answers to this question).

Context clues should tell you that if it's 90* outside and the heater is on....that's probably the reason why you feel hot. Using the same thought process, if the stove is on, and my bare hand is touching it...that's probably why my hand hurts rather than wondering if it's diabetes.

Dear Torq.Mean spirited reply! If you think the question is not interesting, then don't reply. One of the many reasons for being part of this forum is to feel connected to others who are struggling as well with life challenging issues and who have a lot of bad habits to leave behind. We need positive role models to help shape our future choices. The question is not so much the issue, as the positive encouraging support and feeling connected this venue provides. We are not alone!

Reactions: 8 people

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I agree with Bluetit. The body is a complex interwoven organ and a food and activity time and feeling diary with frequent testing could help you work out where what belongs. It could be as simple as the chair or chair adjustments!

I am not trying to invalidate what you are feeling because I have multiple health challenges and it has taken years to find drs to take things seriously and not discount or hand-ball.

I was very vigilant in keeping a diary for about 6-8 weeks and then started analyising and looking for patterns. I found this very effective and useful. I then worked on trial and error.

Good luck
Marley

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Torq.Mean spirited reply! If you think the question is not interesting, then don't reply. One of the many reasons for being part of this forum is to feel connected to others who are struggling as well with life challenging issues and who have a lot of bad habits to leave behind. We need positive role models to help shape our future choices. The question is not so much the issue, as the positive encouraging support and feeling connected this venue provides. We are not alone!
"Give a (wo)man a fish, and feed her for a day. Teach a woman to fish, and you feed her for a lifetime."

Just because I believe in helping people differently does not mean that I'm not trying to help. It's important to learn the deductive reasoning process related to diabetes so you can problem solve so when something happens you can figure it out on your own.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

I am sorry to say this but I find that condescending and patronizing

"There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question".
Carl Sagan

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ref ill... Its easy to think everything is diabetes related but offen things aren't. However, for me if my levels are higher than norm I will also test my temperature as well. That will indicate if I'm going to come down with an infection or cold etc. that means I can then think ahead with my insulin/foods. As I have other problems a remoerature test is the best indicator for me to see whether an illness may impact on my diabetes. I don't actually blame diabetes for an illness or relate it to an illnes unless I get any unforssen blood test indicators of an illness.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing of note for me is that when my BG is high my blood oxygen% is low this can make me feel quite light headed and I can have trouble with a feeling of breathlessness I do get a bit hot and sweaty as well.

Also every ones reaction to high BG is different some don't even notice it I think what the poster was after is how does it make you feel and that is highly subjective and a clinical impersonal list of symptoms does not always tell you that.

Also Google is an internet recourse so is this, difference here is you get answered by real people with experience.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The last time I ate something that sent my bg high, I felt clammy and tired. I wouldn't call it ill, just ropey.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Give a (wo)man a fish, and feed her for a day. Teach a woman to fish, and you feed her for a lifetime."

Just because I believe in helping people differently does not mean that I'm not trying to help. It's important to learn the deductive reasoning process related to diabetes so you can problem solve so when something happens you can figure it out on your own.
Hi, I think that sometimes you need to take a step back and consider" not everybody is as well informed as me, not everybody is as logical as me" and maybe I could use a little more time on the "bedside manner" module. I totally get the bit about the deductive processes but you have to remember that not everybody comes equipped with the same tools as you.

snidge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
exercise, winter driving, waiting (for anything)
Hi Fran on the edge. I feel ill when my sugar is too high. The kind of feeling that makes you say "WHY did I eat that?" Kind of sick to the stomach. I didn't realize a person could feel hot when sugars are high, that's new info for me. Good luck- I think keeping a food diary and checking your numbers frequently is a great idea and it is helping me!