Blood Sugar Spikes

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had T2 for about 18 months now , at first i was very strict, lost about 3 stone, low carb, teatotal, regular exercise (have lifted weights 2/3 week for years) and even tho I had no hypo's I had Hypers on occasion and even tho my diet has slipped a bit , it is still pretty good........

But had no idea what was causing them as I test often and all seems fine til it happens, and spent ages trying to see if it was food related...........

It has been causing me massive problems at work ( extreme lethargy and confusion) one work colleague noted I seemed to "be away with the fairies" , luckily my immediate boss is T2, and has basically been turning a blind eye or at least not looking too close

Did some reading on here which pointed me in the right direction, went to see the doc, who immediately signed me off for stress, saying it was causing the spikes...

Did some tests which apparently show my stress/anxiety levels, they were, PHQ9 of 21 and a GAD of 18...........

The trouble is that the job has always been the same but it was just part of the job........ I coped fine for 17 years before the T2 diagnosis

Dont really know what to do ....... the job is not going to change, I am back on the strict diet and will drop a few more pounds

After advice really , given that the job wont change, should I just accept that I wont be able to carry on...........

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what kind of spikes are you observing...........?

I wouldn't say you need to walk away from the job.........you can try and work out a plan of food and/or medication to help you.......

I don't have any first hand experience with stress related high blood sugar, but I know its possible.....

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, trouble is i am usually to out of it too test but when I start to feel better (30mins to an hour and a half) they are mid teens

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the fact your having these symptoms means your not used to the higher levels, which in a way is good.........

even if you do test and your high, there's not a lot you can do without medication.........

are you on meds?

if so, they can be tweaked to help with these highs your experiencing......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Do you test before and after meals, and first thing in the morning? What sort of levels do you see then? Also, when away from work, such as the recent Christmas holidays, have your levels been any different?

Stress can be a major factor in increasing BS levels, but is it possible your diet slipped a bit too much?

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , 4 x metaformin day, test regularly 5.5 to 6.5 before meals and 7-8 after, unless i have a treat meal like fish and chips then 8.5 -10

Yep levels are different at home, still get the odd bad day but not as often

Just to add I did not relize it was spikes for ages , just thought it was lack of sleep or something

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you have your answer. It is your job that is causing it. Maybe you need to think long and hard about this, have a word with your boss or the personnel department, speak with your family, see if the job can be changed in some way, or consider reduced hours maybe. None of us here can really advise you. I hope you manage to sort something out.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice , I am pretty sure the jobs gotta go, trouble is I have been doing it all my adult life in one form or another......

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mfactor,
I have a stressful job also, but I have found that if I go too long between meals this has an affect on my BS/Stress levels. By changing the times of my meals a little and making myself take at least 2 x 10min breaks a day where I go get a coffee and sometimes a healthy snack and ensuring I physically take a break from work at lunch time (I go for a short walk) it gives my body a chance to recover a bit from all those stress hormones running around. I've also found that eating a Low Carb Higher Fat diet has helped also. I think that like it or not that the high's and lows that carb give you also play a huge role. Stress can be a killer but if your job is one that you love you need to find an outlet for the stress or a way to combat it. Good Luck

Reactions: 3 people

ayit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
varied
Keep your eye on hidden sugar in foods, especially low fat items which bulk up the sugar content to compensate.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mfactor,
I have a stressful job also, but I have found that if I go too long between meals this has an affect on my BS/Stress levels. By changing the times of my meals a little and making myself take at least 2 x 10min breaks a day where I go get a coffee and sometimes a healthy snack and ensuring I physically take a break from work at lunch time (I go for a short walk) it gives my body a chance to recover a bit from all those stress hormones running around. I've also found that eating a Low Carb Higher Fat diet has helped also. I think that like it or not that the high's and lows that carb give you also play a huge role. Stress can be a killer but if your job is one that you love you need to find an outlet for the stress or a way to combat it. Good Luck

Cheers Kezzer , the job will always be stressful, its the nature of it, never really had any problems with dealing with it, I thought if I got the lifestyle and diet sorted I would be ok, did not expect stress to cause problems, I dont love the job at all but its a good one and pretty well paid, but would be stupid to carry on with these symptoms as its a driving job.............

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
out on the open road, stressful............?................:)

you must have been at it too long........;)

as its driving, I suppose you don't really want to becoming lethargic or dizzy behind the wheel.....

I would still say stick it out and see if it can be overcome without disrupting life too much...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers Kezzer , the job will always be stressful, its the nature of it, never really had any problems with dealing with it, I thought if I got the lifestyle and diet sorted I would be ok, did not expect stress to cause problems, I dont love the job at all but its a good one and pretty well paid, but would be stupid to carry on with these symptoms as its a driving job.............

OK. You are volunteering that "things have slipped a bit". I would suggest that you need to pull that slippage back and work with your medical advisors for a while before you throw the towel in. Whatever spikes/hypers you are having, they will be impacted by your base, starting point. So, if your general control has slipped a bit, that's raising the starting point for any stress related rises. So, some focus on that.

The I would suggest you see your doctor and explain the situation (if you haven't already) and ask for a referral for some counselling/stress management. With appropriate help, you may be able to develop coping mechanisms to cap any rises.

During all of this, you need to really put together detailed food and blood diaries. You need to be testing before and after food, and vitally you must test when you feel off. How can any advisor really help you if you can't help them to understand the facts of your predicament? Of course your doc should be interested in helping you feel better, but your data is important to help them map the approach.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@mfactor

Are you on metformin, or metformin SR, and what dose, how often?

Are the spikes random, or do they follow a pattern, or a time?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will try to answer all but not in order, have seen doc she is ok with my management re diet and lifestyle, has arranged therapy, metaformin 2 500 twice a day morn/evening...

Spikes are completely bloody random, , can have a good nights sleep , be in good mood easy shift etc and wham,

Have meter from doc so test often..............

As said to doc was considering just jacking job in , but have got a fair whack of sick pay built up so last chance to get to the bottom of this

Thanks all for the advice, seems clearer now, get the stress sorted or give job up, a clear objective so will see how these sessions go........

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Does the NHS offer a stress reduction course? If so, that might be worth considering. For a while my stress over my diabetes diagnosis was causing my blood sugars to elevate - talk about a negative feed back loop!!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi mfactor,im type2 also, and im a private hire coach driver, i never know where im headed next , driving can be very stressful but i think you need to step back deal with this illness, then consider the options,( as long as your ok to drive) clivethedrive::))

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Will try to answer all but not in order, have seen doc she is ok with my management re diet and lifestyle, has arranged therapy, metaformin 2 500 twice a day morn/evening...

Spikes are completely bloody random, , can have a good nights sleep , be in good mood easy shift etc and wham,

Have meter from doc so test often..............

As said to doc was considering just jacking job in , but have got a fair whack of sick pay built up so last chance to get to the bottom of this

Thanks all for the advice, seems clearer now, get the stress sorted or give job up, a clear objective so will see how these sessions go........

If you weren't on the maximum of the 2 metformin twice a day, so 4x500mg tablets in all, it would have been worth upping the dose, as metformin does slow down/stop liver dumps in the right dose.
(Beyond the maximum dose seems to have no positive effect though)

It could still be worth asking the doctor to vary the timing of the dosage, or switch to a slow release version, and see if that has any helpful effect.

What's your HbA1c?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, yep negative feedback loop is exactly where I am at, but therapy starts in a few weeks, ......

Clive, If/when I get the stress/spikes sorted will prob go back to my old firm , schools swims local stuff , very chilled out work , rubbish pay tho,

Probably a year since my last HbA1c, will look it up .