Blood sugar stays normal range but then get high in the morning?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
so for some reason, my by blood sugar stays normal range but then the next morning its high.
Why does mine do this over night?

The weird thing is it didn’t used to.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, have you looked up dawn phenomenon? Or it could be whatever dinner you had. Greasy, high carb food does delay the absorption of carbs so you’ll go high later. And lastly it could be not enough basal insulin, a basal test would help. It could be something to discuss with your team.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello, have you looked up dawn phenomenon? Or it could be whatever dinner you had. Greasy, high carb food does delay the absorption of carbs so you’ll go high later. And lastly it could be not enough basal insulin, a basal test would help. It could be something to discuss with your team.

Nope, like same thing happened last night I only had chicken and veg for dinner. Last night it was 4.9 and dinner and at bedtime 6.0 but then this morning it was
13.9 but thanks

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a look at you basal insulin is required. What basal insulin are you using and what time/s do you take it?

Reactions: Lulu9101112

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wrong basal or dawn phenomena or a night time hypo resulting in a morning rebound.

Can you get hold of a continuous glucose monitor, even if just for a week, so that you can tell what's happening at night?

Too low a basal will probably lead to a gradual rise over the night, dawn phenomena will be a more sudden rise, caused by the sugar released by the liver in order to help you get going in the morning. If your liver helps you out of a hypo at night, that can also cause a morning high.

Out of interest, had you had any alcohol in the nights with morning highs? Alcohol can often suppress the dawn phenomena, because the liver is too busy processing the alcohol to push out its morning encouragement. Of course, that also makes it ineffective at protection against night time hypos, so it's not necessarily a good idea.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope, like same thing happened last night I only had chicken and veg for dinner. Last night it was 4.9 and dinner and at bedtime 6.0 but then this morning it was
13.9 but thanks

I'm going through a similar thing.
Either I'm having a hypo in the night or I've got dawn phenominan xxx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm going through a similar thing.
Either I'm having a hypo in the night or I've got dawn phenominan xxx

Basal needs can change also. Personally I have a little bit of dawn phenomena plus a (for me) relatively low basal dose, so I tend to run slightly high in the morning (unless I've had alcohol:)). But the low basal is worth it for me because I have a reduced hypo awareness which disappears if I have too many hypos.... Frequent blood tests mean I can stop rising blood sugars in its tracks with bolus....

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The insulin I use is Novorapid and Lantus. I don’t drink alcohol.

I ended up moving my lantus up 2 digits and that seemed to off sorted it. Because my blood was 6.8 this morning (yesterday before bed was a bit high 12.4 as I miscalculated food at a birthday party as it was my friends birthday party)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The insulin I use is Novorapid and Lantus. I don’t drink alcohol.

I ended up moving my lantus up 2 digits and that seemed to off sorted it. Because my blood was 6.8 this morning (yesterday before bed was a bit high 12.4 as I miscalculated food at a birthday party as it was my friends birthday party)

Given the time zones you'll know the answer by the time you read this but if you didn't take bolus to reduce that 12 (or still have bolus on board) that basal is likely to make you hypo on a normal night blood sugar ... in theory you should have the same bed time and morning level if basal is right and ignoring any dawn phenomena.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have DP or Dawn Phenomenon and I never had a clue until I first wore a Libre. Mine is being pretty calm right now but I could have increases of 5mmols or more at times in the past. DP usually occurs around 5:30 am or sometimes about an hour before you wake. It's a rise in BG level set off by hormones getting your body ready for the next day. Mine likes to go haywire when my thyroid levels aren't good.

One of the ways to tell if it's this, is to set your alarm for about 4 in the morning and test your BG level before DP usually occurs. This will tell most people what is going on although a few times in the past mine was known to shoot up around 2 in the morning but that is more unusual.