Blood Sugar Swings.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are well.

Is it normal for BS to move from 8.1mmol down to around 5.7mmol all in the space of 20mins.

Reason I ask was that I had a KFC at a service station, KFC was chicken and about 10 to 15 chips (I treated myself) :) , with a Pepi MAX, i mainly drank the drink on the drive home..

So I get home 2 hours exactly after I started eating.. I tested and was 8.1mmol... Which is not good, but thought it was the chips, but 20 mins later I am 5.7mmol and 22 mins later I am 5.9mmol...

SO I just found it really strange, it could be that the drink was full fat and not diet version..

This condition is a right pain and the pain only get worse.!! :?

Any ideas.

Simply_h

Mileana

10-15 chips is about 10-20g of carb. 10g carb would make your blood sugar go up by about 2-3 mmol/l.

When you have carb foods, it will be converted to sugar which makes your blood sugar go up - that prompts your pancreas to release insulin, which then takes the blood sugar and sends it to your muscles or storage.

It sounds like you had a bit of a high starting point, but the pattern is normal. Only you should ideally have gone from 4.5 to about 6.5 instead. Or even better, not have had the chips. :angel: :wink:

But the pattern is pretty normal.

The fat in your menu may have caused the carbs to have been released slower than what you would normally expect, or you may have been even higher, had you measured it 1 hour after the meal instead of two.

Not too familiar with KFC, but depending on batter and stuff on the chicken that may also have contributed to the carb content.

My blood sugar goes something like 4.5-6.5 when I eat, then drops to about 4.5 before next meal. I am on insulin though, but I try to get by on as little insulin as possible as I don't like the spikes and find my life and exercise activities far easier to control when I don't have the ups and downs from too many carbs and too much fast-acting insulin. I don't often allow my blood sugar much lower than 4.0-4.2 as when it occurs for me, there will not be much margin before I have a proper hypo as I am generally very active. Most type 2s don't get hypo's as their system will correct, but on injected insulin instead of the natural stuff, I cannot just 'turn off' my insulin like your body would all by itself.

I think for 'normal' people to never or only rarely exceed 7.8 even when drinking a bottle of coca cola, it must work pretty fast also for them - otherwise you should see a 15 mmol spike and you don't, so perhaps you could argue that your drop was not fast enough, or you'd have never seen 8.1 :) .