Blood sugar testing machine.

Markyboy0_4

Hi all. Can anyone explain this one please? Same type of machine, and the same drop of blood. ??????????

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1368040739.589058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1368040739.589058.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 934

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Wow, that's a huge difference. I think I have that monitor too. GlucoNexus ? Can't think of a reason why, unless 1 of the strips was contaminated. Be interesting to try it again !

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my old meters has about 0.8 difference to another, but that is a massive difference. Worth ordering a control solution (should be free from the supplier) and see if there's a big difference in the reading.

Maybe worth having a word as well with the manufactures to see what they say.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got that same meter so would be interested to hear what GlucoRX say.

Markyboy0_4

Hi all. I was at the diabetes Center last Friday, I asked the nurse about this and she whispered to me that that don't trust them either because they're cheep. Was given a new machine, (a Bayer Contour XT) and think its fantastic. I've gone from levels all over the place to a steady 5.0 - 7.5!
I recommend anyone that's got the nexus machine to question it.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Betachek Visual testing strips are dirt cheap: with a good pair of scissors, each test will work out at around tuppence. (That's two new pence, or 2p.) And they're on the Drug Tarrif: they're available on the NHS.

Okay, you don't get a result with a decimal point in it. But you do get great accuracy for anything under 7mmol/l. (That's where my blood-sugar normally lies; for the testing is so cheap, and quick, and simple, I can happily test my blood-sugar 15-20 times per day - I've sometimes even tested my blood-sugar, using these strips, as I literally walk along the street.) And for any result I get above around 8 or 9mmol/l, then I'll use a meter-read stick to get the desired accuracy.

Unless your skin is not clean, or you fail to take due care not to contaminate the strips, the result is 100% reliable. (Nb. If you fail to take due care, then you're very likely to notice that - unlike in the case of meter-read sticks; for the pad that yields the result will be visibly smudgy.) And for anything under 7mmol/l, you get the result in under a minute.

Moreover, they're so simple, so elementary to use - not having to fart around with a clunky electronic meter (which may in any case suddenly disclose that the battery's exhausted, just when you least need that to happen) - that the difference in time taken to yield a result, alongside the meter-read sticks, is practically negligible.

I use meter-read sticks too, of course, especially first thing in the morning, last thing at night, etc.

But if there's any difference between the results I get from the meter-read stick and the visually read strip, then I know which one I will rely on.