Blood sugars too high after breakfast and then at lunchtime

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so fed up and depressed that i can't keep control of my sugars anymore. I'm on 500mg Metformin Slow release, 2 tablets after dinner time.

45 mins after eating lunch, it was already 10.1 so i exercised and at 1 hour, it was 8.4 but just half hour later, it was 12.2 and 2 hrs after, it was 13.6. It's never been this high and i'm so scared

After breakfast its between 8-9 and lunch is between 9-10.

what can i do as im so worried :(

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Blood sugars too high after breakfast and then at luncht

You need to speak to your doctor, if your BS is constantly high they may well increase the metformin or may be introduce another med like gliclazide, which is what happened to me.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

My sister just keeps saying that i'm going to be on insulin knowing i'm scared of being on insulin. This is the highest one I've had. does it help with another tablet taken with it and any side effects???

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

My sister just keeps saying that i'm going to be on insulin knowing i'm scared of being on insulin. This is the highest one I've had. does it help with another tablet taken with it and any side effects???

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have been on gliclazide since Feb or March, soon as I started taking it my BS came plummeting down from the 20's to more normal ranges, it had to be tweaked a few weeks later, I am now on 160 mg in the morning.

Theres plenty of med doses changes before being put on insulin, as according to my DN they only put one on insulin when all other meds don't work.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

So are you on that tablet with Metformin or on its own???

I take 2 500mg Metformin at dinner time and was wondering if it would make any difference to split them up to 1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner???

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was originally on 3000 mg a day which is 1000 mg above what the current recommended max of 2000 mg. I had 80 mg of gliclazide added to the metformin taken in the morning.

Having seen on the forum that 2000 mg is now the max recomended dose of metformin, a doc reduced me to the 2000 mg of met and left the 80 mg of gliclazide.

Since then my afternoon levels were peaking to high again this was up to 160 mg of gliclazide and the 2000 mg of metformin.

My afternoon levels are peaking again, but doc wants to see what I am like in Oct (if my levels don't go to made before then) when they will do another HbA1c test.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I have just had a urine infection and been on anti biotics which stopped 2 days ago, im also anaemic and my stress levels are so high because of my sugars. I cried 5 times yesterday as my sugar was 10.1 and its even higher today. I'm so scared it will harm my unborn son :(

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

If you have had a urine infection and been on antibiotics then it will take a few days for your sugars to come down.
All this stress is doing you no good or baby. It may be that you will have to go on insulin at a later date, but not everyone does and if you are advised to then it is the best solution for you and baby and there is no contest A healthy baby will be the result and you will also conquer your fear of injections. Your sister needs to stop upsetting you, you need to keep calm.

If things have not improved tomorrow and you are still stressing, please phone your Midwife as people here cannot advise you about medication because you are pregnant.

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm going to ring my diabetes midwife tomorrow to see what she says. I'm on Iron tablets, Aspirin and Omeprazole every day aswel. Thankyou all for you help x

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..

Hi,

Re Blood sugars too high...

My current bs taken at 2 times daily... norrmally in the morning before bfast is around 14.3 and then again taken at night after injecting 20units of Insulatard MR its anywhere between 19.4 - 25.6... but i feel fine.. no problems at all..

My daily tablets are 100mg of Sitaglipten and 120mg of Gliclazide as i am allergic to Metformin in both types.. but considering that i have lost well over 10st with slimming world in the last 10 yrs then i'm not to bothered, i'm currently 19st 3lbs.. and going lower... but i try and eat as healthy as possible and as for low carbs.. well i eat as normal as possible and don't keep a record of my carb intake.. although i don't eat bread and limit potatoes to twice a week... but as for proteins like meat i eat several times a day..

regards

Peter