1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood Sugars won't come down!

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by Lovelylivpet, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Lovelylivpet

Lovelylivpet Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Lately (past month or 2) my blood sugars have been hell to control. The nearly always range from 13- 20 mmol/L , and to honest it's making me feel ill. My next consultant meeting is in February ; I'm considering emailing her and asking her if she thinks my Basel Rates and/or insulin sensitivity is correct for me. I'm on a pump (Accu-Check Spirit Combo) which is a very good resource in some ways for me. I was wondering if there was any tips people could give me, I would find things like lists of slow release foods very helpful!
    I've had diabetes for 10 years now (since I was 2) .

Thanks.

2. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your nurse may advise your basal/bolus needs to be changed, however, to be certain you need to run the basal tests, then concentrate on bolus ratios. Without doing them properly its all guesswork. In the meantime waiting to do then I would at least put basal rate on 120%, this will last for 4 hours , and would then need to be done again. It would also help your dsn to know your basal test results to advise you appropriately.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

#2 mrman, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  3. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Obviously if this then.brings you too low, cancel it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Lovelylivpet

Lovelylivpet Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Brett :) Yes, I've previously considered putting up my Basel rates. I have put on a increased Basel rate until tommorow morning (when I will see if I should put it up\down anymore). Hopefully all will get better soon.Again,thanks for the help.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook