Blood Test Showing 15.9

Rochy

New to this so apologies if I am talking rubbish.

Went to the docs last Thurs morning for a blood test and it came back at 15.9 whatever this means as I have no idea !

Was asked to come back for a Fasting Test which I am currently waiting on results.

Getting a bit concerned...my symptoms are: (other than the test)

Itchy groin area :|
Tiredness
Very iritative
Go to the toilet during the night up to 6 times
Eyesight goes blurry regularly

My first test was an hour after 2 slices of toast with butter and coffee without sugar.

Anyone any ideas ?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sounds highly likely that it's diabetes. If so it's not an end, just the beginning of a new lifestyle

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Rochy. A normal Blood Sugar is around 5 mmol/l.Your blood sugar of 15.9mmol/l is ,as you can tell,high!Have a good look around the forum and you will get some idea about diabetes and what you can do to get your blood sugars down.It's a pest but it is not the end of the world!Most of those symptoms you have will get less when you start to get your blood sugar(BS) levels down.Ask questions here,that's what we're here for.

Rochy

Should toast and a sugarless coffee an hour before the test make it go so high ?

Forgot to mention the last few months I have started to sweat incredibly for no reason...hasn't been as bad the last week or so though

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The toast ,being bread,a complex carb.would put your BS up in the morning,especially as it was an hour before the test.Generally it takes about 2- 2 and a half hours for your BS to return to normal after eating.Sweating could be another symptom of diabetes especially with higher levels.Ideal fasting test should be under 7 mmol/l.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Welcome to the forum, Rochy

As Sue has already said, a reading of 15.9 is out of the range of what's considered
a normal blood sugar. The toast and coffee would affect the result, but your body
should really be dealing with the rise in sugars better than it is doing.

Until you're sorted out by your doctor, you can help to keep your blood sugars from
rising too high by avoiding sweets, chocolate, sugary drinks(including fruit juices)
and also large, carbohydrate-loaded meals.(go easy on things like rice and potatoes).

And remember to drink pleny of water.

Good luck,
timo.

DiabeticGeek

It is unlikely that a non-diabetics blood glucose would ever go as high as 15.9 - certainly it would take a major feast to make it do so, not coffee and toast! This isn't absolutely diagnostic - which is why your doctor will run more tests. Diabetes is usually diagnosed by measuring a fasting BG of over 7 on two different occasions, or else by something called a Glucose Tolerance Test (which measures how quickly you eliminate glucose from your blood after eating a known amount). If these tests are positive then other tests can be used to tell what type of diabetes it is.

Although you aren't diagnosed with diabetes yet, it sounds very likely that you soon will be. Don't panic, it isn't the end of the world. Once you get on top of it, diabetes is more a nuisance than a major problem. It wouldn't do any harm for you to learn all that you can about the condition before your next appointment with the doctor - that way if you are indeed diabetic, you will be able to ask useful questions. These forums are a good place to start - read through some of the past threads - and concentrate on the ones giving advice to the newly diagnosed.

Mr Conkers

Hi Rochy,

I'm quite new to all this also , only being diag in May this year.

My fasting test was at 13.9 and i had the toilet issue and was drinking like a fish for a couple of days. Once my results came back they started me on tablets and advised on my diet.

Like everyone has said before, with type 2, which is possibly what you may have, it's more a life style change than anything else. Basically eat a health diet and more exercise. On my 3 month test i was down to 6.2, which was due to the med's and also working hard on the diet and exercise thing.

Now from what i can find out about diabetes, everyone will tend to tell you something slightly different, so i tend to go with the mean, but saying that this site has been more than helpful.

Basically, you need to look at labels and cut down or cut out as much sugar as possible, a lot of thing s surprised me as they have huidden sugars, but just switching product often helped.But as a general rule jsut eat healthy. Theres more to it than that, but just look around this forum as theres lots of help and advise.

But for as fasting test i think a normal reading would be around 5 - 5.5, dont quote me on that, but i think these are around the figures, a small diet change will make a huge difference...

78.143.25.35:28900

Katharine

In case you were cheating?

One woman I know forgot she had eaten toast and jam before one or her gtts. The results were not good but the none cheating one was even worse!

Rochy

Second Fasting test back at 15.8...Will I need to be on medication ?...just so I know what to expect when I go back to the quacks.

Dave

Rochy

Diagnosed today as T2...start Metformin (is this spelt correctly) on Monday as well as some other pills.

Having ECG and more blood tests on Monday...dunno what for though !.

Confused to hell about what to eat now ! :evil: