Blood Test Strips being stopped on prescription

Spraggyleek

I was told yesterday by my Diabetic nurse that the NHS are stopping the prescriptions for all blood monitoring test strips except for one type? As from February they will issue Type 1 Diabetics with a new blood monitor and the only test strips you can get on prescription will be for that machine. I personally like to have a number of blood monitoring machines around, one in car, at work, in sport bag, upstairs and downstairs - but this is going to make them all redundant unless i'm willing to buy the strips myself!!! I can understand the issuing of test strips is a strain on the NHS but they want us to test more times like every time you go to drive etc. then restrict our options to do this! It makes me very angry! A Type 1 diabetic for 30 years in Stoke!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont see your problem.

You will still have a monitor, and still have test strips on prescription.

Spraggyleek

lucylocket61 said:
I dont see your problem.

Limited to one meter and it is hard enough trying to get test strips anyway. They want you to keep your condition under control yet make it harder for you to look after it!

You will still have a monitor, and still have test strips on prescription.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is happening quite a lot of late where gp practises are changing to one particular manufacturer.

To overcome your problem you could ask your gp or diabetes clinic for spare meters, usually the Reps are more than happy to give the meters away knowing that the company reap the rewards on the sale of the test strips.

lenipenny

Is this realy happening? I think it depends on where you are when i first got diagnosed i was told i had to buy.my own tester and strips ive now moved and have 3 that my diabetic nurse has given me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jennaellis01

This makes me angry if its true, ESP when I watched a program on tv about how much ridiculously obese people are costing the nhs every year just because they can't stop eating, I've had type 1 since I was 2 years old and I'm now 27 and think having to pay for strips/medication is appalling its not my fault I'm diabetic and we need these things to help stay healthy....if the nhs need to take cut backs they should stop funding operations for greedy fat people to have there stomaches stapled up and tell them to stop eating instead!!!

Finzi

Jenna, I understand you're angry but I don't think abusing and insulting overweight people, of whom there are a number on this forum, is the answer. If it was as simple as stopping eating, don't you think people would just do that rather than undergoing life risking surgery?

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too wondered about this conditioned response that you often get from people when you mention diabetes that diabetes equals fat. My record shows the following figures, among others, showing the relationship as far as I am concerned.

Weight Kg Hba1c

On NHS advice only 2011 96 58
No control at all 2011 93 68
Pills and experiment 2012 87 49
Pills and good diet 2012 89 42

In this instance the phrase "good diet" means that I eat meals that do not offend my meter. It does not have the word slimming in front of it.

Sorry about the formatting. The original is in lovely columns.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jennaellis01 said:
This makes me angry if its true, ESP when I watched a program on tv about how much ridiculously obese people are costing the nhs every year just because they can't stop eating, I've had type 1 since I was 2 years old and I'm now 27 and think having to pay for strips/medication is appalling its not my fault I'm diabetic and we need these things to help stay healthy....if the nhs need to take cut backs they should stop funding operations for greedy fat people to have there stomaches stapled up and tell them to stop eating instead!!!

have you seen just how addictive they make food these days... and once people are addicted to carbs, it's very hard to get out...

Jennaellis01

Yes I do understand how addictive food can be, I've just had my second baby and have a few pounds to lose myself and losing weight with diabetes in so so hard and I know how easy putting weight on with diabetes and other conditions is aswell. But like any addiction you need will power whether its food, smoking drugs or alcohol. At least with food it's not like u can't eat anything it's just not means not filling your face with rubbish all the time.....it's the people who have no respect for there body's and have allowed themselves to reach 50 stone because there to lazy and greedy that I'm getting about and its then us the tax payers who end up paying for there operations and special care that they receive everyday, as I doubt they work as they can barley walk or leave the house. So how the nhs can justify making cut backs on making diabetics pay for test strips etc is beyond me, I think they should be making cut backs elsewhere

sammyk

Yes its true the nhs is switching to just one blood testing monitor. The agamatrix. All patients are apparently being called into their nurse for a quick lesson how to use. My husband had his last week and its just the same basics as his other machine. The reason they are changing is the strips for the new monitors are half the cost of strips for other monitors they gave out in the past.

cezzle

Won't work for us. My Type 1 daughter has the Aviva Expert - it has all her carb ratios etc programmed in by the consultant. He looks at the data at her appointments. I doubt whatever meter the drs provide would do that.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I guess there will be many people unhappy but to be honest it makes sense. Think of the millions the NHS would save by using the same standardized equipment. They can negotiate hugely on the strips if they were using 1 supplier and buying in bulk. I'd rather this happen and see more people get them on prescription, including type 2's, than people starting to get them rationed. It will happen eventually if nothing is done. Actually, it's started to happen already. I'm not saying I like it but it just makes sense in my opinion. The NHS is not a bottomless pit and we can't always choose what we want. Those days are gone.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Think what it will do to Companys as well though and the progress of things like pumps and cgms..

Is that going to be the nextthing that we can only have the cheapest pumps, and no cgms? The companies such as accuchek rhat make the expert machines and the pumps will not get their income from the uk and therefore they may well have to rethink their strategys and prices and money also spent on research and helpdesk staff etc. accuchek provide excellent pumps that need their bloodstrips... I certainly wouldnt want to argue with my gp ro keep their strips and their pump which is my preffered choice of pump.

May be good for nhs in someways I agree, but in otherways it could lead to trouble ....

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'd rather see us all keep a slightly less expensive version than eventually lose the best equipment. Unfortunately nowadays, the NHS is trying to be run like a business. I can't see them adopting ultra-cheap equipment as they'll keep breaking and lose the contract. As I said before, I'm not saying I think it's great news, I'm just saying it makes sense.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm all for a better run, cost efficient nhs too, just really concerned for our futures in this cost saving driven nhs..
I'd rather the NHS could lessen the costs towards self influcting druggies and alcholics than us with critical illnesses. Sorry, sounds harsh and horrible against another type of vulnerable person... Just that I helped years ago with campaigning for diabetics to get free injections... When they were given to drug addicts first...

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Totally agree ! But it just makes sense to bulk buy and standardise testing equipment ! Personally, I'd like us all to get top of the range equip for life ! Realistically, we both know it won't happen. To secure our free treatment for the future, we need to accept a few minor adjustments now ! To clarify though Mr Dogs, I am totally on your side ;-)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ditto back...

My pump clinic in South Wales thought ahead and bought many, many pumps from accuchek for a good price in bulk.. They thought ahead...and enabled so many more of their patients to manage their diabetes.better.. Sure it will have paid dividends.

Look at the recall of the meters out now... How would we all get on if it was the new meters that they want everyone on? The company, nhs and patients wouldnt cope.

Do agree with all postings, just wish the NHS could make more savings elsewhere...