bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi all,

This may sound a bit of a daft question, I have been diabetic for a long time now ( type2), this is my first HBa1c blood test, I have had my yearly check up ones but this is my first one just for blood glucose. Do I need to fast ?

Thanks . :oops:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
A

Anonymous

bernie.freeman said:
Hi all,

This may sound a bit of a daft question, I have been diabetic for a long time now ( type2), this is my first HBa1c blood test, I have had my yearly check up ones but this is my first one just for blood glucose. Do I need to fast ?

Thanks . :oops:

I have a letter from my GP regarding my next Diabetic Clinic meeting. It says ...

'At least a week before the appointment you will need to have a fasting blood test (nothing but water from 10pm the night before).

If you take Glipizide, Gliclazide and/or Metformin for your diabetes at breakfast time, please delay taking these until after your blood test when you have your breakfast.

If you take Insulin at breakfast time take at the usual time but do not fast. Try to have a low fat breakfast on that day.

Please remember to bring a urine sample.

Suggest you call your health centre and double-check.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Bernie if its just for an HbA1c then there is generally no need to fast, tests for fasting lipids and occasionally fasting glucose tests may be asked for but if its not been requested then I would say its fair to assume that its not required.

If you're still concerned though, why not phone your GP's surgery and check with them :thumbup:

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For an HbA1c you do not need to fast, as it provides an average figure, however they may do cholesterol and a fasting glucose test, for which you will need to fast.
Westie2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App