1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Blood tester.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by PeterGC, Sep 16, 2016.

1. PeterGC

PeterGC Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone has anyone ever received a tester free. It looks like the companies only give free testers to people who are using insulin and looks like anyone with type 2 has no chance of getting a free testing kit

• Like Like x 1
  2. lynn007

lynn007 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

they are suppose to give to you if you are on insulin. I am on Metformin and they will not give me so bought my own.

3. lynn007

lynn007 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I've had them for free from Lifescan even though I've said I'm T2.

5. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

My surgery will only give type 2,s a meter if they are on Insulin
    I bought my own

6. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I got a contour next usb for free even though they had said I didn't qualify.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

in Denmark type 2 on only metformine also get the meters for free, but then the Sticks to measure the blood glucose with costs sometimes 1 £ a piece or half a £

8. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's different in Scotland. I was given one on diagnosis of steroid induced Type 2 diabetes and that was only at the "new onset" stage...but...I had just had a renal transplant so maybe that was behind it. I was given a second on speaking to a diabetic nurse...she thought it would be handy in case I lost one! I guess that's less than the norm!

• Like Like x 1
  9. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just accidently tick the wrong box saying you are type 1;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

the code free is very cheap

• Like Like x 2
  11. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In Canada the manufacturers give away the meter for free when you buy 100 strips. You can pick whichever you like. The catch is the ongoing cost of the strips which is very high and where they make their money.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

13. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was given a meter and test strips after diagnosis. My GP later told me that it was obvious that I was going to go straight onto insulin. I used the meter to show me what foods I could and could not eat. Now I'm told I only need to do 2 or 3 spot checks a week so I bought the SD codefree mentioned above as the strips are about a third of the price. I want to keep my diabetes under control.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Same here. When I filled in the online form the response was that I didn't qualify, then I got an email saying I would be sent one, and I have received it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

I began using Insulin 2 years ago but still take 4 Metformin a day also. The meter I was using the GP Surgery stopped providing me with Test Strips on Prescription. However, I was offered and accepted their Meter (Nexus Rx) with 100 FreeTest Strips a month, that was over a year ago.

16. PeterGC

PeterGC Type 2 · Member

Have taken advice as I have been offered a meter free if you send a email to some of the company's website like I did you might have an offer

• Like Like x 2
  17. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Yes, I have a few Free meters sent to me over the years - but some Test Strips can work out to be expensive for them. The SD Codefree Meter is very popular with members on the Forum, which is why it is recommended to new members. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've tried several times for free meter offers from suppliers and diabetes.co.uk, and have also always been told I'm not eligible. So I've bought my own. However, after trying for and being refused a newer version of an existing meter, I bought my own and then several months later out of the blue did actually receive ir as a freebie too. :wideyed::wideyed: So you never know!!

Ribbity

19. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

And that's exactly what happened to me .

20. PeterGC

PeterGC Type 2 · Member

Since I first mentioned this subject I have had plenty of offers to get a free meter it's strange that after I emailed one company 4 others have contacted me so be persistent and you never know

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook