Blood testing question - pleae help

dtc1982

Hi

I am new to this and have what is probably quite a simple question but I cannot find the answer anywhere.

When doing the finger prick tests 2 hours after a meal, are you supposed to make sure that you don't carry on drinking in that 2 hours? And if you did, would you then expect to get a higher reading?

Yesterday I did my 2 hour post meal test but carried on drinking alcohol free beer in that time, and got a reading of 9.2. My 1 hour reading had been lower at 6.8. Is 9.2 still abnormal considering I didn't stop drinking?

Any help really appreciated.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If whatever you drink contains sugar then, yes, you are not really doing a two hour reading since you last consumed.

Some drink is not a problem however. Spirits have no sugar in them unless you put a mixer in and then the mixer is the problem. Wine has some sugar in it and obviously the sweeter the wine the more the sugar although not very much. Beer has more sugar in it and the ones known as summer weight have even more.

Alcohol in the drink is only a problem with the liver production of sugar. While it is dealing with alcohol it cannot do its function of behaving as a back up sugar supply.