Blood testing

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having problems doing regular blood testing atm - it hurts, I don't like the blood, I don't like the frequent hand washing needed, I resent having to do it, and tbh I just don't care. I really need to get on top of this, my eyesight is starting to be affected I think - I'm more short-sighted than I was. Does anyone have any hints that might make sticking to a routine of blood testing easier?

I find it odd that it is the blood testing not the insulin injections that is the problem, I think it is the pain and the blood that makes the difference - there is very rarely blood visible with the injections, and I often cannot feel the needle go in at all.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
If you are using a thicker gauge lancet then go for something thinner...some are as thin as 0.22mm (33gauge) i.e. OneTouch Comfort

Try setting the depth gauge shallower and do not pierce the finger pad .. use the sides slightly below the nail line.

If you have test strips that need more blood than the latest type, then change your meter... i.e. Abbott Freestyle Lite only needs a mere speck (0.3micro litre) as does the Glucomen LX.

If you really despise hand washing, then just wash the finger you are going to test and make sure your hands are warm.

Good control is essential where diabetes is concerned and regular consistent testing is all part of a good control regime, so you do need to come to terms with testing and what it involves. I used to hate testing until I was told about the 0.22mm lancets and a good testing technique, but now it does not bother me.

Good luck and make sure you come back and let us all know how you get on.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't thought about making sure my hands were warm, that might be part of the problem, when my fingers are cold the lancet needs to be set deeper?

I will check the lancets and see what type they are, and see if any other suit me better.

I have found one of the record books for recording the test results, so that should help I think, having something organised to record them in. Wish me luck...

zig

I found doing blood tests with the finger pricker given to me by the DNS even on lowest setting painful then one day I forgot my monitor and had to buy one (a nano) what a difference it has made using the finger pricker that came with it hardly painful at all. So although I'm not advocating that you 'buy' one because I have seen other posts indicating that companies may give them free I would suggest you do try a different make to see if it makes a difference for you. There was even a printed leaflet for me to pass to GP to change my prescription for lancets and strips so all in all it was made very easy for me to use the new one all the time - good luck

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
hi there - to reduce the admin involved with testing, why not get a metre that will allow you to store date and time of readings up to 50 or so (most do this I think), then you can just write them down once a week or so. or even better if you get one of the usb metres it can just plug in to your computer and you can download the info, no writing down involved!