Blood Testing

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a diabetic since January and have a BG level now down to 7.3, my GP and Diabetic nurse told me to cut back taking tests and only do two tests a week. However I am on steroids for another problem, I have and of course my sugar levels have risen as a result, I need to test more to make sure I am getting the balance right, but again they tell me to stop testing as much. I have my next 3 monthly check next week, if my levels have gone up do you think it's wise I tackle them about being allowed to test more? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
2 tests a week.
Are they totally mad ?
How can you have any idea on a daily basis what your Bg levels are ? I hope you don't get a shock on your next HbA1c. I am afraid I wouldn't have stood for any of this. They would certainly get a rant from me. If they won't prescribe the strips then either get another GP or buy them yourself. It's YOUR health we are talking about here, not theirs. :twisted:

Ken.

Spiral

I'm testing about 8 times a day at the moment :?

I know that my GP won't fund this level of testing, but I'm asking for repeat prescriptions until I'm told he won't do any more, then I will argue :wink:

I am also supplementing my prescription by buying my own strips privately. i bought 1 box at a pharmacy for £25 :shock: :shock: :shock: althoug when I asked for the VAT to be taken off because as a diabetic you are expemt from this on the things you buy related to coping with your condition it was slightly cheaper. I have also bought strips from eBay - I bought 3 boxes for just over £25.

You can't possibly hope to get to grips with your blood sugar if you don't know what it does after you eat. However, people who succesfully reduce their blood sugar control substantialy reduce their carbohydrate intake - whatever kind of diet they adopt. This is much more than no added sugar. Take a look around the diet and food forums.

There are several people on the boards who have very limited test strips, but mamage to eek them out. You might consider it a worthwhile investment to buy some privately to increase your tests for afew weeks while you work out what makes you spike.

Good luck!

Spiral

I had a quick look at your profile. I see you list of likes - cerials, fruit and sushi :? those are all things that would send my blood sugar though the roof.

Dobbs

Back in January my GP told me his standard advice to type 2s was NOT to self-test because it might make them anxious. :shock: All I can say is that I've become much LESS anxious since I disregarded his advice and started self-testing. What he told me is total nonsense. After all, self-testing doesn't alter your actual level in any way. Is ignorance really preferable to knowledge? Certainly not in this case, as it's our health that's at stake.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Spiral said:
I'm testing about 8 times a day at the moment :?

I know that my GP won't fund this level of testing, but I'm asking for repeat prescriptions until I'm told he won't do any more, then I will argue :wink:

I am also supplementing my prescription by buying my own strips privately. i bought 1 box at a pharmacy for £25 :shock: :shock: :shock: althoug when I asked for the VAT to be taken off because as a diabetic you are expemt from this on the things you buy related to coping with your condition it was slightly cheaper. I have also bought strips from eBay - I bought 3 boxes for just over £25.

You can't possibly hope to get to grips with your blood sugar if you don't know what it does after you eat. However, people who succesfully reduce their blood sugar control substantialy reduce their carbohydrate intake - whatever kind of diet they adopt. This is much more than no added sugar. Take a look around the diet and food forums.

There are several people on the boards who have very limited test strips, but mamage to eek them out. You might consider it a worthwhile investment to buy some privately to increase your tests for afew weeks while you work out what makes you spike.

Good luck!

Hi thanks for the reply. I am in not a position to buy my own because I am on a low income. I am a full time carer and even though this unpaid job I do in caring for a family member is vital, if I get ill I can't see the Docs being sympathetic, at the end of the day it's pounds before patients. It is the cost of the strips for testing that is expensive, they are expecting me to order 1 box of test strips to last 3 months? I am seeing my GP on Friday so hopefully I will pluck up the courage to tell him that I need to test more especially whilst on steroids. As of next week I am on a chemotherapy drug for my arthritis, I suppose he won't see my side of things especially that the meds might make me sick and of course that comes with BG levels going haywire.

As for my eating cereals I seem to be the lucky one, I love my brekkies in the morning, sushi too is just the right amount of carbs I need to keep me going.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My doctor also tells me i can have 3 boxes of strips per year. I fund my own, buying them from ebay. It's only about half the price. If you've never bought on ebay, it's essential you check out the seller's feed back.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have decided to keep ordering the strips until he pulls me in for a telling off. :lol:

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Man. Just tell him like it is. No sweat. These people don't walk on water you know.

D.

Spiral

kay957 said:
I have decided to keep ordering the strips until he pulls me in for a telling off. :lol:

This is my approach too :wink: but I'm also buying strips too and I'm not reordering the prescription as often as i use them up. I have just bought 2 boxes of strips for my meter on eBay for £9.99 per box as a buy it now deal. Well in date. Keep your eyes open for good deals.

I think there was a thread upstairs somewhere about testing schedules. My biggest spikes are about an hour after I eat, so that is my priority test time. But I also need to test before I eat to see how much what I eat has increased my blood sugar.

Visit http://www.bloodsugar101.com to find out more.

broxiebear1

i got my meter today and nurse put me on repeat pres . with on limits as to testing,i told her about people on here that have to buy strips from e bay etc and she was shocked .

colecraft

When I was diagnosed 2 years ago,in the uk, and said to my doc that I would be self testing alot until I got to know how things were,he said he would not prescribe test sticks, as medical evidence had recently been found that self testing wasnt beneficial overall,(for who I wonder) so I've always bought all of mine.
Consequently I'm amazed that lots of you guys still appear to be getting prescriptions !

Here in Turkey I buy a box of 50 Abbotts strips for my Boots test meter at 38ytl which is £15.26 sterling, so how does that compare ?

Cant believe my doc whom I like alot did this !!! Grrrr
John

jimmyt1988

wahahah.

Must be some crazy doctor who has a monkey in his brain. The key to us poor diabetics is blood testing or atleast getting a feel for your own sugar levels. With such a great count on your BG, why the hell would they recommend you take less blood tests?

That's so funny.

NHS wins because with that, I get my blood test strips (accu-chek) for free because it is 100% a nescessity. How the hell are you suppose to keep your sugar levels perfect for 13 years (like me) without knowing what your levels are in the first place.

johnbobs

I'm a project manager for a local diabetes charity in Liverpool l'm also a diabetic myself on tablets and insulin.
I can understand the need for testing if you are on certain medications plus insulin. My question would be what do you do with the test resuilts? If you can not increse your medication why do it.

If you test for peace of mind but you end up worrying about the resuilts? Do you test the same time ever day why? Dont let diabetes rule your life let your life rule your diabetes.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi johnbobs.
You stated:
I'm a project manager for a local diabetes charity in Liverpool l'm also a diabetic myself on tablets and insulin.
I can understand the need for testing if you are on certain medications plus insulin. My question would be what do you do with the test resuilts? If you can not increse your medication why do it.

The test results allow a Diabetic to see what various foods are doing to their Bg levels throughout the days and for a T2 this can be vitally important to keep those levels under control. It also allows people to actually reduce the medication when the levels are brought under control obviously after discussions with your GP. I want to take less medication not more.As a T2 on Insulin you can obviously adjust your dose accordingly to cover your dietary intake. I don't have that luxury.

If you test for peace of mind but you end up worrying about the resuilts? Do you test the same time ever day why? Dont let diabetes rule your life let your life rule your diabetes.

Who worries about the results, certainly not me. I just prefer to be in control of what is happening to my body and my Diabetes. GP's etc think we will worry - that is just plain rubbish !! It is also probably down to the fact that the GP doesn't want to fund the strips either ? Yes, I test on waking, and at least 2 hrs after most meals or if I feel ill. I also test prior to driving because I take hypo inducing medication, Byetta and Gliclazide. I prefer to be safe on the roads. Diabetes doesn't rule my life anymore, I am in control. I have reduced all Lipid levels, BG levels, eyesight has improved dramatically and my quality of life is so much better since taking that control. Personal choice. I don't expect everybody to have the willpower or motivation to do the same.

Ken.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I am on diet only and I would be worried if I could not test my BG!
Testing fine tunes my control over my diabetes and allows me to rule my diabetes by taking control and get on with a normal life.
I test if I eat anything new so that I know the effect it has on my BG or if I feel unwell.To begin with I tested before and two hours after every meal.Now I know the effects of most meals I can test less frequently but still test so as not to become complacent .I have control of my diabetes and my life.

andreas

I can't believe what I'm reading. It is your entitlement to have the strips - surely? I test 8-10 times a day and my GP prescribes them, no probs. Have you thought of asking your pharmacist? I asked mine who he thought was the better surgery in the area when I moved here. Don't take this on the chin - unfortunately you have to fight your own corner when it comes to getting what you want.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The Irish Study again!! :twisted:
"recently been found that self testing wasnt beneficial overall,(for who I wonder)"
A study was done in Ireland on newly diagnosed T2s, with half self testing and half not. the self testers got anxious. ( No wonder since they didn't know what to do and could see the numbers staying high. they were given the standard rubbish diet advice)
Now that useless study is brought out as an excuse every time someone wants strips. At least my GP just admits they cost too much.. I asked him what they save in complications, but he didn't think they do.( Katharine could tell him the comparative figures.)