Blood tests

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have problems with blood tests, and if so, do you have any tips on coping?

I can do insulin injections fine, they don't worry me, and things like flu vaccination are not very nice but I can cope. Blood tests are different, I think it is because where the needle goes.
The last few blood tests for hba1c have been OKish, but something happened recently which has made the fear worse.

Anyone got any coping tips, before I have to have a blood test again?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have my hba1c tomorrow and am dreading it too,
i used to be a blood doner with no problem but since being diabetic ive become hard to bleed and have fainted a few times while they wiggled the needle about to get the blood out, and this has made me very nervous every time i need to have bloods done, they now use a baby syringe on me instead of that pressure blood test bottle, and it does seem better, but i think a lot depends on the nurse :lol:

TheSparkyPony

It's not fun, is it? :(
I had a huge fear of blood tests stemming from when I was first diagnosed, as my blood was so thick it took them numerous attempts to get blood out, and as a previously healthy 7 year old, it scared the hell out of me.
I've since learnt that my veins are very deep, which means they have to really root around in there. Luckily, after so many tests being done from being in hospital over the years, I can deal with it. Just can't cope with ABGs now! (Arterial blood gas)

From shadowing nurses as part as my volunteering ready to start university, this problem came up a lot. If you inform them you are nervous, and if your veins are quite easy access, they can try a paediatric needle. These tend to hurt less. The butterfly needles tend to hurt less too.

Can you take a relative/friend with you? Sometimes just a distraction is all you need :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont look and talk a lot :lol:
CAROL

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't really hurt very much ever, it's just the thought if it really.

Taking someone to distract me might be a good idea, I will try that, thanks.

I'm not sure rescue remedy etc would work, but might be worth a try.

I looked by mistake, the doctor said something like 'there we go' which made me think she had finished, so I saw a tube sucking blood out of my hand :cry:

louiseb

in my local health food and herbal shop the assistant told me rescue remedy is not suitable for diabetics not sure if its true though.

TheSparkyPony

louiseb said:
in my local health food and herbal shop the assistant told me rescue remedy is not suitable for diabetics not sure if its true though.

I'm not too sure on the liquid, but I know the pastilles are sugar free. I'd certainly give it a go though, it didn't work for me to use it but I'm a cynic for this kind of product and think it's psychological!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who cares if it is psychological if it works :)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

jaykay

Don't know why they would say it wasn't suitable for a diabetic unless it is because it uses a 50:50 water/brandy solution but you use such a small amount I can't really see it being a problem. Allegedly it helps with the following :

Rescue Remedy is a unique combination of five BachTM Original Flower Remedies all working on emotional imbalances associated with daily stressful situations:

Rock Rose - for terror and panic
Impatiens - for irritation and impatience
Clematis - for inattentiveness and to counteract faintness
Star of Bethlehem - for shock
Cherry Plum - for irrational thoughts and lack of self control

I used to give it to my son who used to get very stressed in certain situations. He didn't know what it was but it always seemed to help.
If it works - 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It might sound crazy but I hate needles too! :shock: OK I have no choice but to inject myself but hate anyone coming near me with a needle, just the thought of it makes me shiver; normally I just look away and think of happy times in my life such as a family holiday or a special get-together which helps a little.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh no, now found out I might have to have a injection tomorrow for a CT scan, which will involve a needle-thing (can-something? I really can't remember the name) left in me, hopefully just while they inject the dye? They maybe will take it out during the scan? They said I might not need it though, but they can't tell me until I get there.

Going to get an urgent appointment with the GP tomorrow to see if they can prescribe some sort of sedative.

If anyone else dares to comment 'oh your blood sugar is quite high' I'll do them an injury. Got other more important things to worry about.

TheSparkyPony

carty said:
Who cares if it is psychological if it works :)

I care because it doesn't work for me! That said, if it does for you then I'm all for it :D

Ingredients for RR Pastilles:
Rescue Remedy® Pastilles are made with Rescue Remedy® original flower extracts. Natural Colour
Natural Flavour
Non habit forming.
Sugar Free
Alcohol Free Classification: General Sale Dosage: Chew one pastille as required.
Warnings: Excessive consumption may induce mildly laxative effects. May contain traces of gluten.

Ingredients:

Rescue Pastilles - Orange & Elderflower
Active: 5x dilution of Helianthemum nummularium HPUS, Clematis vitalba HPUS, Impatiens glandulifera HPUS, Prunus cerasifera HPUS, Ornithogalum umbellatum HPUS. Inactive: Sugar substitute (sorbitol isomalt), gelling agent (gum arabic), natural flavour (elderflower, orange), vegetable oil, glazing agent (vegetable oil, beeswax), sweetener (thaumatin, xylitol).

(Taken from http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm )

HLW - Was it a cannula by any chance? This is basically a plastic tube that sits under the skin into a vein and allows for easy IV access for medication/dyes. This is essentially to stop repeated injections as for dyes it has to be intravenous to show up on the scans.

If it makes you feel better, I can't imagine them putting a cannula in you. I have regular CT scans which always need a dye - they pull me out halfway through my scan, inject the dye (which goes very warm down your body and makes you feel like you've wet yourself!) and chuck me back in. One needle is all it takes.

Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get along xxxx

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a CT scan some time ago on my shoulder. This involved freezing the area first with a small needle, then dye was injected. They had to move the needle for the dye around a bit (which is why they numb the area first) but it wasn't bad. Made it a lot easier that the tech who did the scan was a fellow from Newfoundland and joked the whole time to keep my mind off things. Afterwards it was really strange though as it takes a while for the dye to disperse and it felt a little like there were small rocks grinding around in my shoulder joint. Wish someone had warned me about that as it kinda freaked me out at first! Good luck with the scan - after its all over you will wonder what you were so worried about!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes cannula that's the word. I hope they don't need to use one, an IV injection would not be so bad, still not looking forward to it.

Thanks will let you know how it goes.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am petrified of having blood taken and avoid it as long as possible. Someone has to take me or I run off. I have small thin veins and they almost always have trouble finding them. Over the years this has just made my fear worse.

I use Emla cream which helps, about an hour before and I put it on all possible sites so I look hilarious :lol:

Recently a nurse told me to drink lots of water, especially in the 2 hours before having it done. It makes the veins swell. I was cynical but I'll try anything and it worked really well!! For the first time in ages they got straight in.

Still avoiding the next HbA1c one though :cry:

Why can't they just give us the finger prick test!! :evil:

Clairslloyd

Have been lucky so far that needles dont bother me. I do find it easier if I don't look and think of what I have to do later in the day etc shopping, going for walk what book to read next. Try that, hope it works for you or maybe you could ask about sedation to make it a bit easier - had a friend who was terrified of the dentist so they gave her something to take the edge of - worth a try also. Hope I haven't said anything I shouldn't and please feel free to correct me if I have made a mistake :shock:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
MushyPeaBrain said:

My Hba1c's have always been finger prick tests so it's possible to do it that way. They take a minute quantity of blood. Maybe it's because they have the machine on the spot? I get the results straight away.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
daisy1 said:
MushyPeaBrain said:

My Hba1c's have always been finger prick tests so it's possible to do it that way. They take a minute quantity of blood. Maybe it's because they have the machine on the spot? I get the results straight away.

Its all down to cost :roll: