1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blue Lagoon Iceland and insulin pumps anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Minnie_19, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Minnie_19

Minnie_19 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a 640g medtronic insulin pump which is apparently waterproof although on a recent trip in Indonesia I discovered this wasn't the case with mine and was left 2 weeks without my pump.

In Feb I'm going to Iceland and we are planning on going to the Blue Lagoon. If I risk taking my pump in and pray it's waterproof, will it be okay? I'm not sure because the water will be warm. Are there any cases anyone knows of?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm not aware of any cases for the 640G, but what I'd suggest is that you borrow a spare from Medtronic for your holiday, stating that the reason is your experience the previous time.

4. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have been to the Blue Lagoon but not as a pumper.
    I am now an Animas pumper and I have been to various spas with it ... but not Blue Lagoon.
    When spa-ing and jumping in and out of water (swimming pools, jacuzis, etc.), I take my pump off (and enjoy the freedom) even though it is supposed to be waterproof. During these days (or half days), I return to my pump every hour and manually give myself a bolus of my hourly basal. I have found this works well and avoids the worry of whether my pump is really waterproof and where I would attach it to my swim suit if it was.

Regardless, if Medtronic provide free spare holiday pumps (Animas do), I would recommend taking them up on this offer as you never know when it will go wrong and you don't want to spend your holiday worrying about it. But remember to write down your settings as the spare will be set to the defaults.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not a pumper but been to the Blue Lagoon, the water isn't warm......it's hot! Whether your pump is water proof or not I doubt it will be particularly happy being hot.

I loved Iceland and loved the blue lagoon - I'm not envious at all.................................:D

Can't say I saw anyone there with a pump on, but I think as a nation they are rather short on diabetics anyway - make sure you take plenty of supplies just in case.

6. Minnie_19

Minnie_19 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. I have my old pump so will be taking this with me as a back up anyway.

As it's going to be very cold in Feb I was hoping to avoid the scenario of disconnecting and then having a bolus when out of the water! But like I say I'm worried about the pump getting to hot.

Maybe I'll have to just go back to injections for the day.

Haha @slip yes I am very excited, glad to hear you had an amazing time when you went.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

7. AmandaD

AmandaD Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've the 640g and have used it in pools and the sea in Spain, and warm swimming pools and its been grand. For the blue lagoon thou I think I'd leave it off as it is quite warm

8. slip

Seeing Amanda's comment it suddenly dawned on me, that you want to be able to relax and enjoy it, if you were wearing a pump you'd be constantly checking it was still working etc - just go 'naked' and enjoy it.

As for coldness - getting in and out is not a problem, you enter the water inside the building and then swim out. Then the air is warm surrounding the lagoon so if you sit up on a rock you won't be cold.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What perfect timing! I'm going in January and was wondering half heartedly what to do. I think I*should* be on Dana then so will take my animas as a Backup :)

10. slip

Hope both of you see the northern lights! @Engineer88 they may well still be celebrating Christmas whilst you're there, we went mid Jan and due to adverse weather over xmas that year they postponed some festivities until later - must have been some weather! the UK would have come to a complete and utter standstill if we'd had 1% of what was there when we went.

• Like Like x 1
  11. paulus1

paulus1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

what about the chemicals.

12. Engineer88

the main point is there aren't any - its a natural hot spring as far as I'm aware

13. paulus1

paulus1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

14. Engineer88

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook