Blurred vision after eye test?

roxy44

Hi
diagnosed a week ago, although had symptoms for a good while, i have my very 1st eye test next month, and i hear about the drops blurring your vision :shock:

can you tell me to what degree is the blurring, i imagine not being able to see? and i know it sounds silly but its freaking me out a little , i know it had to be done , no question, but if someone can explaine what they mean by blurred vision i would be gratefull

many thanks

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
Had my first eye test several weeks ago, a slight burning sensation, and try too avoid driving and direct contact with sun e.g. don't lie out in it.

I can only imagine what passers by thought as I made my way home after the test - hood up, eyes down looking very suspicious.

It will be fine :D

Ben

C

catherinecherub

Hi roxy,

Please don't get into a panic it is not painful and the blurring is not major. It means that you will not be able to read for a few hours,people's reactions vary on the timescale, or do close work. You will still be able to see. Take a pair of sunglasses with you to wear on the way home as your eyes will be sensitive to light for a while. Do not drive as you will not be fit to drive home because of sight impairment. You can take someone with you if this will reassure you.

roxy44

thanks so much for the replies...so i will still be able to see? that was my worry, ...ie watch T.V and see in general? just not close up?....thanx again xx

BPM

Dislikes
Of course you will Roxy, the effects lasted about 3-4 hours for me and nothing after - hope it all goes well.

Ben.

BPM

Dislikes
However for some unexplained reason my nose fell off - very odd. :wink:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine done for the first time today.
Drops put in at 1140am. Stung a bit for a few seconds then fine.
Got the pictures taken about 15 minutes later.
Walked out into the dull daylight and didn't feel uncomfortable with the light, just felt as if it was sunny when it wasn't.
Other half drove me home and I was pleased he did....I could see shapes down the road but couldn't focus on anything.
Looked at what the postman had delivered when I got home and couldn't read the name and addresses on the envelopes as both eyes seemed to have double vision.
Ate my lunch at 12.30pm and then went and relaxed in my armchair for about 45 minutes with my eyes closed.
By 2pm I was able to read the newspaper and mail ok, although when I went outside I still needed the sunglasses on to feel comfortable.
By about 4.30pm my pupils had returned to normal and my eyes this evening just feel tired.
Nothing to worry about and the lady doing it was great, explaining everything and looking after me just fine.
Hope this puts your mind at rest.
Regards
Angie

roxy44

Hi Angie, i think i started to freal when you said you could only see shapes and it was like double vision!! :shock: .but glad you was honest...guess i just have to bite the bullet lol...thanx x

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi roxy i spend my days with blurred vision my guide dog can't half drive though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no really there is nothing to worry about it's just like getting eyedrops in except the blurred vision doesn't go away for longer there is no pain and you will be amazed at the images of your eyes on the vdu it is absolutly breathtaking i promise :D but my dog does like driving :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JF be 8) 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Roxy :)
There was a long thread about this a little while ago where I gave a detailed explanation of my experience at having my pupils dilated and a later post where I talked again about how it was afterwards for me. A lot of people shared their experiences. This might set your mind at rest as it really is no big deal but you just have to make sure you don't drive afterwards. In my case, once I had arrived home, I was able to get on my computer straight away to make my post about it. I was just very troubled by the light - even indoors - so I had to draw the curtains.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18659&hilit=+drops

roxy44

thanx very much Daisey for the link,

can i just clairfy , that you can see maybe just not too clear? so i dont have to scare myself into thinking, that the world will be all blurry for the rest of the day (as my test is at 9am)
and that i can basicaly can see at arms length?. i care for my dad everyday, so need some sight
i dont know why its just freaking me out still....maybe all the sudden changes to my life as got to me a little, all the tests..seems to have come out of no where :(
and life seems a little scarey at the moment....you wouldnt think i was 50, acting more like a 10yr old at the moment :roll:

thanx again for your patience xx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Roxy I have my 3rd scan next week, I take my wife to chauffeur me home but on both previous occasions I reckon I could have driven, but best not to take any chances. I found that the drops sting a bit momentarily and then my eyes watered for a few minutes. I have taken dark glasses on both previous occasions but the brightness and blurred vision is not that bad at all, certainly nothing to worry about.

I find the worst bit is holding my eyes open while the drops go in, as my reflexes want to shut them, but after thats over its no problem at all. You'll be fine 8)

roxy44

thanx so much Sid :)
i do feel better now, i guess its hard to hold your eyes open waiting for something to drop in them :)

there is nobody worse than my Hubby, he has had drops a good few times for 1 thing and another ie:getting metal in his eye!!, dont ask :roll:

and he is blinking like mad before i have even opened the drops :lol:

to be honest Sid, i think i have thought of nothing else but of diabetes for a few weeks, and before i really didnt give it more thought, but no its just got on top of me a bit, like being hit in the face with the seriousness of it..

thanx again

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Got my eye test 8th June so thanks for raising the question and all the advice too. I am going to the gym afterwards and was thinking I'll be ok a few hours later so I'll drive home from there but it seems 2 hours or so may not be enough! So thanks you've taught me to be sensible

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the worst bit is holding my eyes open while the drops go in, as my reflexes want to shut them, but after thats over its no problem at all. You'll be fine

completely agree, there's no problem if they are quick putting the drops in. I have the normal test as in the UK but also another test a couple of weeks later(more money for the opthalmologist... I live in France), For the second test I have to put in two different drops an hour before the appointment . First a drop in each eye from each bottle, then ten minutes later repeat.. My OH puts them in and by the end it becomes almost impossible as I just can't stop closing my eyes and flail about trying to stop him. Poor man I think he's very brave to even attempt it !

Seriously, I don't think I would like to drive or do anything much after the drops, I find the light hurts my eyes and that sunglasses are essential. It depends on how much of the drops they actually get into your eyes as to how soon things return to normal.

Unbeliever

When I go to the eye clinic i have several different kinds of drops instilled into my eyes and I also find that i this tends to make he effects of the dilating drops last longer.

When I left the hospital he other day and the sun suddenly became brigher I couldn't see anything but a white glare and would have been completely losy if alone.

pheobe

I have my first test on Tuesday evening and must be honest I am dreading it.
The only good side is the appointment is not until 4.30pm so hubby will have to treat me to tea out as eyes maybe a bit blurred to cook.

roxy44

yeah i think the earlt morning time is rubbish so inconsiderate of them :wink:

please let me know how you get on and good luck :)