blurry eyes day after hypo

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
hi everyone im new to all this. i was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with type 1. my problem is over the past few days ive been very active and because of this ive had a couple of hypos .when i hypo my vision gets blurry i feel shaky and i sweat problem is my eyes are still blurry . is this normal? does this happen to any one else? any advice please?

HOT FUZZ

Hi cyb3rminx,
Blurred vision can be caused by rapid fluctuations in blood sugar. It can also be
caused by prolonged periods of elevated(high) blood sugar.

Blurred vision is also seen in diabetics who have recently been keeping tighter
control on their sugar levels (e.g. a newly diagnosed diabetic).
In these cases, an improvement should be seen within 2-3 weeks of better control.

Regards,
fuzz.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think your body is having to make huge adjustments from a chronic absence of insulin, to suddenly becoming properly insulated (!) It's certain you would have had enormously high blood sugars pre-diagnosis and inside the eye is one of the many places the excess sugar can build up.

My optician tells me she can tell straightaway if a diabetic patient has routinely elevated sugars, because the fluid inside the eye becomes syrupy.

I suspect the blurriness if more a result of suddenly improved blood sugar levels than the hypos. I think you should find things improve over the first few weeks. Good luck!

All the best,

fergus