1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blurry vision

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Leelee1507, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Leelee1507

Leelee1507 · Member

Can anyone give me any advice on blurry vision ?
    I only found out 3 weeks ago I had type 1, big shock now my eyes are playing up is this normal and how long before they get back to normal? Thank you

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Leelee1507 and welcome to the forums.

Blurry vision is fairly common in new diabetics (of all types) as high blood sugars affect the lenses of your eyes) and should improve once your blood sugars have normalised. So if you need reading glasses to cope, best to buy the really cheap ones from a discount store as you probably won't need them in a few weeks. (Not entirely sure of the time scale as I was diagnosed when I was 8 which was a lo...ng time ago).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Leelee1507

Leelee1507 · Member

Thank you so much for the reply means a lot this whole thing of having type 1 has frightened the life out of me.

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same happened to me. Diagnosed out of the blue at age 42. At diagnosis my eyes were really blurry. Scared me lots. But as previous poster has said once my sugars were under control they went back to normal. Took about a month for me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome,

I hope you are feeling a bit better now. Hearing others with the same experiences is helpful. I would suggest keep reading and posting.

Welcome.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. ultradad

ultradad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

About the same with me as well, 4-6 weeks when i went on a LCHF diet and back to nromal then :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same happened to me , its lasts about 2-3 weeks .

8. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

Same happened with me as well. Would have been useful if I had been warned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lainie71

Lainie71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My eyesight was very blurry on an off before type 2 diagnosis. When my levels went lower the blurriness ceased :)

10. Sarahlouxoxo

Sarahlouxoxo · Member

Hiii, omg I’m so glad I saw this! (Well barely) I have the exact same thing, I had a DK on New Year’s Day and was diagnosed as type 1 as I ended up in intensive care I have had blurry vision since, I have been told by all the diabetic nurses and doctors that my eyes will get back to normal but it’s so scary to not be able to see, I’m currently sitting here with two pairs of shop bought reading glasses on so I can see the letters on my phone!

I’m still worrying but I had the eye doctor yesterday and they checked my eyes over and even though I can barely see my hand in front of my face they have said my eyes are still completely healthy and have no diabetes damage to them, so fingers crossed my vision will come back soon!

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Mrs HJG

Mrs HJG LADA · Well-Known Member

My eyes were 'playing up' for a couple of weeks before diagnosis, phone and work emails were blurry but I blamed my varifocals and excessive de-misting putting them out of alignment.

As soon as I started medication and my BG decreased everything went, it was like I wasn't wearing my glasses. but with a magnifying glass everything was perfect.

I am now 5 weeks in, and my distance and TV viewing vision are back to normal, but only started coming back about 10 days ago, I can squint and read my laptop and phone now for short periods, but am happy that I know it's not permanent even though the Specsavers optician said she couldn't see damage. I haven't driven for a month, and am only now confident that if I go out for a quick spin this weekend it will be OK.

I googled too much and hearing it'll be better 'in a couple of weeks' so I was panicking, but as my HbA1c was initially 129.5, I had a bit of adjustment to do!

12. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Me too. I spent the summer hols after diagnosis listening to audio books rather than my usual catch up on reading. By the end of the hols was back to normal.

13. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my simplistic way, I think its the sugar in the fluids around the eye, rather than the eye itself.
    Mine was blurry too, and now if ever I get tempted to overindulge, I remember how bad I must have been for there to be so much sugar in my fluid that I couldn't see through it.
    It does clear, try and and look on it as a positive in that body is ridding itself of the sugars. Better it's coming out than staying in!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook