Body Temperature Vs Appetite

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

Been diagnosed for almost a year, lost nearly 6 stone and feeling great. However, I am having these 'episodes' from time to time where I am almost overcome with hunger and just have to eat loads and loads.

I have sat back and thought about it, and there is a pattern emerging that seems to suggest its if Iet myself get cold. This maybe a prolonged -in the office all day and its a bit cool or i go outside insufficiently wrapped up and feel cold. I'm certainly feeling the cold more these days, presumably as my insulating fat has gone.

Is it something to do with metabolism needing to burn fuel to raise the body temperature, is it just a fluke or maybe its just me being a pig!

Anyway, there was a sale at debenhams yesterday so i've bought a few winter pullovers and going to make an effort to keep my core temperature up.

Anyone else feeling these things

Cheers, Carl

jaykay

Hey Carl, I can certainly understand the losing your insulation bit! I've lost 26kg in about 6 months. Never felt the cold before but this winter.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Not wanting to buy too many new clothes as I'm still losing weight ( tho' not so quickly) but I just had to go buy jumpers and cardigans and am off today for thick socks and slippers. I have NEVER had cold feet before. I get 'mouth' hungry, even when my tummy is full but I've always had that so I just ignore it :lol:

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have the same complaint - that is feeling very very 'mouth' hungry - I did mention it too my db nurse [I am not over weight but is wish to keep at my 9 and a bit stone] She suggest that Its a Thirst that make me feel like this. I have tried to drink more water!
My feet are nearly always cold no :( - I mean Icy. But I have suffered with cold feet ever since I can remember. I have been diagnosed T2 for 3 yrs, and cope better sometimes that others.
take care

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I lost 5 1/2 stone on a low GI/GL reduced carb lifestyle. The winter before that I used to sweat like the proverbial and that was with windows open......now, I have the windows shut, the heating on and still can get a bit chilly. :(

However I NEVER feel hungry or have to snack.......like to drink at least two litres of water each day so am not dehydrated.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I seem to be having a food nightmare.

The colder it gets - the hungier and more irratable I seem to be. I have had the heating on full whack for 2 days and nights, wearling multiple layers of clothes but hands and lower legs /feet refuse to stay warm. In fact they are so cold it hurts.

I really fancy something like a nice bowl of porridge or a cup of horlicks to warm and fill me up but concerned it will tip my BG over the edge. Even wheatabix is a non starter as this sends my blood into double figures at 2 hours, so seem to 'pigging' on proteins such as cheese and fish.

This cold and eating etc is not suiting me well, my BG has not been below 6 all week with my fasting BG this morning at 6.7 - I have put a couple of pounds on this week also.

I've gone back up to 2 metformin / day for a couple of weeks as Life had become a bit of a misery eating such a low carb diet (less than 30g). I am now eating around 50g per day but my whole metabolism and well being seems to have gone out of synch.

sorry for the moan - Roll on the sunshine !

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
theblokefromstoke said:
I seem to be having a food nightmare.

The colder it gets - the hungier and more irratable I seem to be. I have had the heating on full whack for 2 days and nights, wearling multiple layers of clothes but hands and lower legs /feet refuse to stay warm. In fact they are so cold it hurts.

You are an ultra low carber and from what I have seen both here and in other places running low Bg levels can cause problems. Many don't seem to realise that running levels too low can have quite an effect on not just Bg levels but brain function too.......

Symptoms of Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) can include Hunger, Irritability, Personality changes........that is what happened to me when I was true low carbing, below 30g per day. I was the proverbial Bear with a sore head ! Not nice and certainly something I wasn't very happy about, nor those nearest and dearest to me. :(

So, something had to change. Like you I upped the carbs to around 50g or sometimes more, but coupled that with a change to a low GI/GL method to control the Bg numbers. Within a short while my Bg numbers were more steady and my whole personality changed too, for the better (I'm sure some would disagree :wink: ). It took a week or two for the changes to have the desired effect but it was worth it and even though I upped the carbs my Bg levels stayed good and weight never went on because of the reduced portion sizes and no snacking.

I've gone back up to 2 metformin / day for a couple of weeks as Life had become a bit of a misery eating such a low carb diet (less than 30g). I am now eating around 50g per day but my whole metabolism and well being seems to have gone out of synch.

sorry for the moan - Roll on the sunshine !

That was the problem I had when low carbing........it didn't suit me as a lifestyle. What I do now is more enjoyable and less of a hassle trying to find alternative foods etc. Give it a week or so and see if it all settles down, try not to worry about it as you are just stressing yourself out and that in itself will affect your Bg levels, usually upwards ! So BFS......chill out a bit and try not to get paranoid about the present levels........it will I am sure get better once you give it a little more time. :)

Let us know how you get on.