Borderline Diabetes

LizzieP

hi there,
could you tell us a little bit more? how did your doc diagnose you as borderline? did he do tests and give you any indication of results? i'm going through the same thing with my husband (we think he's pre-diabetes). did you have a fasting blood glucose test?
it is true that quite often pre-diabetes (same as borderline?) can be treated with diet and exercise alone (from what I have read).

Trinkwasser

Type 2 is generally a progressive condition

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

however the earlier you start to behave as if you *are* diabetic the less likely you are to reach the diagnostic criteria.

You really need to get your actual numbers, including blood pressure and lipids as well as BG.

999sugarbabe

I presume borderline to be similar to pre-diabetic. :?:

I was told 5 or 6 years ago I was pre-diabetic. Didn't take much notice, and certainly didn't alter my lifestyle because of it. :shock:
I and am now T2 on medication, but my numbers aren't too bad. I would describe myself as "on the fringes of diabetes". I haven't come across anything (yet) that causes my test readings to significantly alter, at least not compared to some on this website.
Maybe I'm just lucky?
That would be a first! :wink:

You don't say how the doctor came to this diagnosis? Have you any blood test results?
:roll:

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
when i was diagnosed the diabetic nurse told me i was told that i was type 2 but i was borderline type 1 as i was 38 ,this seemed a bit weird has anyone else been told this :?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
mullaneder said:
when i was diagnosed the diabetic nurse told me i was told that i was type 2 but i was borderline type 1 as i was 38 ,this seemed a bit weird has anyone else been told this :?
There is a vast difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes and your nurse's comment seems to indicate that she does not understand this! :roll:

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
i worry when i hear things like this exactly how much bad advice is out there ,then you have the question what do you believe and what do you ignore i find the people on this forum a lot better than the so called experts :?

Hi all ..
All that I know is that a fasting blood test, put my sugar levels at 7.1 .. which my Doc told me was borderline and didn't or wouldn't require treatment.. I'm just to watch my diet ... :?:
I do have a lot of the classic symptoms, blurred vision, excessive night thirst, weight loss, pins & needles and quite severe neuropathic pain... in both legs and occasionaly in my right arm.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Wendinthewillows

According to the NHS 24 hour advice website

A diagnosis of diabetes is made if the level of glucose in the fasting blood sample is over 6.7 mmol/l or the level in plasma is over 7.8 mmol/l and/or the levels in the second sample are 10 mmol/l and 11.1 mmol/l.

In the US they use a level of greater than 6.9 to indicate diabetes. So, unless your test was a plasma test, with your test showing 7.1 mmol it would appear that your GP has defined his own set of rules and is out of step with the rest of the world. :roll:

Here is the link to the NHS website if you should wish to challenge him on this.
http://www.nhs24.com/content/default.as ... ctionID=24

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
Wendy
Trink is right
It's sometimes possible to reverse the pre-diabetic condition and avoid diabetes developing, if dealt with early.
If you get yourself a meter and some test strips. ( your doctor won't probably give you these, but they can be bought from the manufacturers websites Try "Abbott Diabetes Care". They give good service)
check your blood glucose at different times during different days , before or after meals. Keep a record of time and reading and what you ate if it's after meals. And note if you hadn't eaten in the last 2 hours.
A non-diabetic reading is between 3.5 and 5.5 before meals and up to about 6 an hour after eating.( not much more and it drops back fast.)
If you also make a few lifestyle changes, you may swing it.
Try reducing your portion sizes of starchy foods and ditching sugars altogether.( watch out for natural sugar. It may not be added, but it is sugar.) Become a label checker! above 10% carbohydrates, Don't!
Increase your exercise. Walking is ideal. Get a pedometer,again inexpensive . Aim for 10,000 steps per day.
If you live near me, I can lend you a dog to accompany you.
That may well be enough.
If you have weight to lose, try something other than the low cal/low fat route. it tends not to work too well if glucose metabolism isn't perfect. Just the chanes I've suggested may help

I need to put weight on ... not lose it .. :D
I honestly don't know if it was a plasma test ...
I just know it was a diabetes fasting blood test ..
I have to go back to my Doc this week as I've just noticed 2 Xantholasma's forming around my right eye, usually associated with high cholesterol .. I had one removed from my left eye approx 4 years ago.
As far as I'm aware my cholesterol is OK ... but will ask for a check on this too ..
Thanks everyone for your help ...

MarkChilds

Please be clear there is no such thing as Borderline Diabetes. Either you are over 7.0 and therefore you are diabeteic or under 7.0 and your not. I was told I was borderline and subsequently did not take care of myself as I should have. I am now 6 years in and been through the meds and are now on Victoza (new wonder drug!). It is likely that if you take action now you can stay where you are which is effectively mild lifestyle-controlled diabetes or pre-diabetic. There are 3 phases and what you describe is the pre phase. Phase 1 is diet and exercise and or oral meds, Phase 2 is when the medication such as Metformin and Gliclizide become less effective and then it's into injectibles such as Victoza or Byetta or maybe even insulin. Phase 3 is complications - let's not go there! One piece of good advice is to get on an x-pert training course for diabetes. This explains how it all works and is something I wish I did when I was told I was borderline. Of course they weren't available back in the old days of 2004 :). http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/.

Type 1 is total failure to produce insulin. Type 2 is when your body cannot use the insulin it produces or the insulin is ineffective.

Lastly, being diagnosed was the best thing that happened to me as I then knew why I felt so tired and washed out and just so unwell!

Look after yourself.

Mark

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi,
I wonder if your borderline you still have to pay for your prescriptions instead of getting them for free????.