borderline

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
have just returned from the docs feeling very dissapointed three month ago had a reading of 8.3 and was given 1 meterformin a day this has come down to 6.9 although have beteer avgs on machine also my collestral was 5.0 the only reason i can possibly think of for my collestrol shooting up is all the fat in the darck choc 85% eggs cheese etc so i have today decided to ditch this type of diet and go for low gi does anyone have any suggestions for good books you can buy bought one today but this suggests oats wholmeal bread etc this would send my sugars up through the roof so how can you low gi diet when your diabetic any suggestions would be very much appreciated thanks

Hi Carlos,
I'm not sure this will help as i am new to the diabetes scene as my grandson is diabetic
He is also glueton allergic so he has all the glueton free foods & they seem to work well with his diabetes
Also if you are registered disabled ( as my grandson is) you can get the food on prescription as it is very expensive
I have such a lot to learn as we have to think very hard what he is allowed, but I hope this info' helps you
Good Luck
Lynn

C

catherinecherub

Hi carlos,

I have followed the low GI diet for seven years and have had no problems.
What you have to remember is that although a food may be classed as low GI, you still have to test it's suitability for you.

There are many and varied explanations of the GI diet, some better than others. Some give different advice than others and seemed to have jumped on the bandwaggon giving different values to further confuse people.

The books I would recommend are,

The GI Diet. The Glycemic Index by Rick Gallop.
Living the GI Diet by Rick Gallop.

These provide a good explanation about how GI works, lists of suitable foods, (no wholemeal bread is listed as low GI :wink: ) recipes and exercise plans.
You might be able to find these in your local library before you buy them. They were both £9.99 in 2003 but I do not know what they would cost now.

Hope this helps,

Catherine.