Borofergie's contribution to Low-Carb cuisine

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I often read this forum with my head bowed in shame, because of all the clever low-carb cooking that goes on from WJ, wiflib, Defren and IanD (among others). I'd love to eat all of it, but I cook none of it (although Mrs Borofergie makes a wicked DCUK inspired aubergine lasagna). If she didn't look after me, I'd probably just eat steak and eggs every night.

At last there is an alternative. I'm suddenly inspired to make this:
article-1264166-0908E346000005DC-537_468x321.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... eiled.html
(I love the fact that it's the usual Daily Mail racist anti-fat rant, but in the poll on the page 66% of people said they would eat it).

Unfortunately it's not available in the UK (but I'm hitting the first KFC I can find in Atlanta next month), but I reckon that it should be pretty easy to knock up at home (might have to experiment with the batter/bread coating).

I can almost smell my first Michelin star coming.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
1,228 calories for a chicken burger :shock:

Personally I wouldnt eat anything from KFC even if it were given away :thumbdown:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
1,228 calories for a chicken burger :shock:

Just the ticket when you've run 6 miles before breakfast (1200kcals)!
That means that I can eat 2 on a 12 mile day!

Sid Bonkers said:
Personally I wouldnt eat anything from KFC even if it were given away :thumbdown:

To be fair Sid, I wouldn't eat cornflakes.

Grazer

borofergie said:
I often read this forum with my head bowed in shame, because of all the clever low-carb cooking that goes on from WJ, wiflib, Defren and IanD (among others). I'd love to eat all of it, but I cook none of it (although Mrs Borofergie makes a wicked DCUK inspired aubergine lasagna). If she didn't look after me, I'd probably just eat steak and eggs every night.

At last there is an alternative. I'm suddenly inspired to make this:
article-1264166-0908E346000005DC-537_468x321.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... eiled.html
(I love the fact that it's the usual Daily Mail racist anti-fat rant, but in the poll on the page 66% of people said they would eat it).

Unfortunately it's not available in the UK (but I'm hitting the first KFC I can find in Atlanta next month), but I reckon that it should be pretty easy to knock up at home (might have to experiment with the batter/bread coating).

I can almost smell my first Michelin star coming.

I'd be up for it if it wasn't for the coating (which I love, but all batters seem to send my BGs soaring.) I have got a box of low-carb batter mix in the cupboard; but results weren't good which is why it's in the cupboard! Incidentally, was in a Weatherspoons at the weekend and on the menu they had a skinny burger with salad, (No bun), and priced accordingly. Quite good actually.

Grazer

borofergie said:
If Patch came to dinner at my house, we'd look like a "Hairy Bikers" tribute act...

Are woolly bikers allowed?

Attachments

• Grazer on Bike.jpg
    Grazer on Bike.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 932

WhitbyJet

:lol: :lol:

1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp celery salt
1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, not too fine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onio1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
add almond flour or coconut flour and parmesan in equal quantities and you are pretty much there

so coat your chicken breasts, fry until golden brown on all sides, then make up your burger with the cheese slices and bacon rashers and mayo, oh and you need to make up some low carb relish as well but thats easy enough to do.

But you dont like mayo because of the oil, so make your own may using bacon fat, it works really well.

So there you have it, you dont need KFC at all, make your own from free range organic chicken, it will taste better.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WhitbyJet said:
:lol: :lol:

1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp celery salt
1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, not too fine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onio1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
add almond flour or coconut flour and parmesan in equal quantities and you are pretty much there

so coat your chicken breasts, fry until golden brown on all sides, then make up your burger with the cheese slices and bacon rashers and mayo, oh and you need to make up some low carb relish as well but thats easy enough to do.

But you dont like mayo because of the oil, so make your own may using bacon fat, it works really well.

So there you have it, you dont need KFC at all, make your own from free range organic chicken, it will taste better.

Thanks WJ - you're my low-carb cooking hero.

I promise I'll try this one. Now that I'm off the (cream) wagon, where was your recipe for low-carb trifle?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I make a crispy coating for chicken from grated Parmesan [ bought at a good price whole from LIDL and grated at home] mixed with ground flax seed. If the chicken is egged firest, it sticks well. Same coating brilliant on fried cauliflower florets. Goes nice and crunchy and golden brown
Hana

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Borofergie!

borofergie said:

I love the fact you read the Daily Mail :shock: :lol:

Smidge

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
smidge said:

Hey that's not fair! Some of my best friends aren't racists!

Pneu

borofergie said:
smidge said:

That's the 2nd time in a week you have made me spill my coffee...

On a totally un-low-carb related note (well kind off!).. my attempt at eating Chinese and maintaining sensible sugars with my pump is on a total fail tonight.. although the CGM is getting a good work out! Last day of carbs before I begin my 'normal blood glucose project' and aim for a 4.6% HbA1c with low carb, CGM and pump power.. worth it just to see the face of the nurse at clinic :)

So keep the recipes coming.. the above minus breadcrumbs looks yummy

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pneu said:
borofergie said:
smidge said:

That's the 2nd time in a week you have made me spill my coffee...

On a totally un-low-carb related note (well kind off!).. my attempt at eating Chinese and maintaining sensible sugars with my pump is on a total fail tonight.. although the CGM is getting a good work out! Last day of carbs before I begin my 'normal blood glucose project' and aim for a 4.6% HbA1c with low carb, CGM and pump power.. worth it just to see the face of the nurse at clinic :)

So keep the recipes coming.. the above minus breadcrumbs looks yummy

4.6% :shock: That's 4.8 mmol/l on average! Won't that be some sort of World Record?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try adding a teaspoon of arrowroot to that coating mix. It really works.

I picked up an interesting seasoning in Waitrose today (along with more butter on offer) it's called Umami Dust, is zero carbs and very tasty. It would make a great addition to a coating.

wiflib

Pneu

borofergie said:
4.6% :shock: That's 4.8 mmol/l on average! Won't that be some sort of World Record?

No idea reference the record.. but I have eaten three meals now that were less than 25g carbs and each time I have seen less than 1.0 mmol/l movement in my blood glucose... so now I have the CGM which seems to be working nicely overnight I feel a bit more comfortable in running my BGs tight.. so if I average say 4.5-4.8 mmol/l over night, 4.0 - 4.4 mmol/l during the day and then sub 5.5 mmol/l on all +1 hours then I don't see why it isn't achievable..

I know normally without the pump or CGM I could achieve 4.9% HbA1c's and I have that much more flexibility now.. should be do able... biggest risk to tight control is always hypo's and if my basal is right then I am not actually injecting enough bolus to really cause massive BG swings.. and without the pump & CGM I haven't had a 'real' hypo in probably 2 years so I don't think its that risky...

Defren

Well Stephan, those of us who know what we should eat and what will keep our BG and weight down need to perhaps thank you for bringing this to our attention, and maybe even hope it will come to the UK soon.

[youtube]evcNPfZlrZs[/youtube]

Long, but incredibly interesting. Losing weight the Roland McDonald way!