Type 1 Boxing, fitness, diabetes and nutrition

mkennerley

hello fellow diabetics,

I have a question on what to eat to help me with going to the gym and boxing.

Late last year i started going back to the gym after a 1-2 year break!
I go twice a week and do a bit of cardio but mostly weights. This has been going ok with regards to diabetes but often i feel that i am not recovering between sessions as quick as i could and that i run out of energy too quickly.

Now i have signed up to a boxing class 3 times a week (in place of my current gym sessions, i’m not insane!). I am expecting this to be more difficult/intensive than my current gym routine so need to think about what i am eating.

I think i can help my self by eating more appropriate foods. So does anyone have any suggestions on what i can eat. I have looked at the varous fitness websites but they are not diabetic oriented.

Thanks,

Mark

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello fellow diabetics,

I have a question on what to eat to help me with going to the gym and boxing.

Late last year i started going back to the gym after a 1-2 year break!
I go twice a week and do a bit of cardio but mostly weights. This has been going ok with regards to diabetes but often i feel that i am not recovering between sessions as quick as i could and that i run out of energy too quickly.

Now i have signed up to a boxing class 3 times a week (in place of my current gym sessions, i’m not insane!). I am expecting this to be more difficult/intensive than my current gym routine so need to think about what i am eating.

I think i can help my self by eating more appropriate foods. So does anyone have any suggestions on what i can eat. I have looked at the varous fitness websites but they are not diabetic oriented.

Thanks,

Mark

I would strongly recommend joining the diabetic muscle and fitness group on facebook by Phil Graham. Using the diabetic muscle and fitness website - it has loads of info and if you really want to take hold of the condition buy his book - the diabetic muscle and fitness guide.

I goto the gym everyday and do cardio and weights, I have really begun to manage it well, with the help of the group and this website.

Also it would be very beneficial if you don't already have a CGM to get one, you can see how different exercises affect you personally then.

Reactions: kitedoc

mkennerley

I would strongly recommend joining the diabetic muscle and fitness group on facebook by Phil Graham. Using the diabetic muscle and fitness website - it has loads of info and if you really want to take hold of the condition buy his book - the diabetic muscle and fitness guide.

I goto the gym everyday and do cardio and weights, I have really begun to manage it well, with the help of the group and this website.

Also it would be very beneficial if you don't already have a CGM to get one, you can see how different exercises affect you personally then.

Thanks for the reply.

I have requested to join the facebook group you menntioned.

I am interested in CGMs but have seen mixed reports on their accuracy and its put me off. Also the cost of them is not particularly attractive!
Holding out for the holy grail of cgm and pump in one.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply.

I am interested in CGMs but have seen mixed reports on their accuracy and its put me off. Also the cost of them is not particularly attractive!

If you are type 1, you maybe entitled to the freesyle libre on the NHS, if you don't ask you don't get! I did and was given it by the DSN. In regards to accuracy, mine isn't far off especially using the glimp app. But to me whats more useful than the actual BS value is the trend and what my blood glucose levels are doing with different types of exercises and how quick. Then I know if I need to have a snack or not beforehand. Knowledge is power and if you don't know how your BS levels react, you cannot manage them effectively!

Also a cgm and pump in one won't be around for a few years at least and if it did, imagine the costs of that in comparison to a CGM at the moment.

Self funding a CGM doesn't mean you have to use it forever, use it for a few months learn how your body reacts then manage independently if needed.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you on a pump now? That offers more flexibility when exercising.

D

Deleted Account

I also recommend checking out www.runsweet.co.uk.
This website is dedicated to managing type 1 with different types of exercise which is great because some exercise may make our BG rise and some may make is fall so it is great to see some guidelines.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply.

Boxing is pretty great for High Intensity Interval Training and you won't waste all those muscles you have built up over the resistance training if you eat enough to support yourself.
Your blood sugar may well spike during intense efforts (mine does when weight training) but should calm down again.
Nutrition wise it really depends on your goal. If that goal is not to feel tired then I'd look at how good your blood sugars are (love my cgm fsl even though I too yearn for the closed loop system - to note the FDA have just approved a closed loop system but it doesn't do mealtime dosing sadly), hydration (classic sytmtom of which is low energy) and eating enough food to compensate for your training efforts. Note that this does not have to be high carb nor do you have to take on lots of whey protein in junk shakes and expensive bars. IF getting leaner is the aim then you'd need to reduce carbs!

mkennerley

Boxing is pretty great for High Intensity Interval Training and you won't waste all those muscles you have built up over the resistance training if you eat enough to support yourself.
Your blood sugar may well spike during intense efforts (mine does when weight training) but should calm down again.
Nutrition wise it really depends on your goal. If that goal is not to feel tired then I'd look at how good your blood sugars are (love my cgm fsl even though I too yearn for the closed loop system - to note the FDA have just approved a closed loop system but it doesn't do mealtime dosing sadly), hydration (classic sytmtom of which is low energy) and eating enough food to compensate for your training efforts. Note that this does not have to be high carb nor do you have to take on lots of whey protein in junk shakes and expensive bars. IF getting leaner is the aim then you'd need to reduce carbs!
Im actually trying to get fitter/stronger and hopefully bulk up a bit. I’m 5’10” and only 10st so dont really need to watch the calories!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im actually trying to get fitter/stronger and hopefully bulk up a bit. I’m 5’10” and only 10st so dont really need to watch the calories!
Okay so boxing is a fat burner and if you want your body to add bulk you will need to eat more than you use. If it is the kind of training I am thinking of it will involve body weight exercises as well as sparring so you should still be able to maintain muscle mass. Lots of snacks needed. And IMO nobody should count calories or macronutrients!

mkennerley

Okay so boxing is a fat burner and if you want your body to add bulk you will need to eat more than you use. If it is the kind of training I am thinking of it will involve body weight exercises as well as sparring so you should still be able to maintain muscle mass. Lots of snacks needed. And IMO nobody should count calories or macronutrients!

I think you have the right idea about the boxing.
What sort of things should i snack on/eat?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you have the right idea about the boxing.
What sort of things should i snack on/eat?
I think the weight gain protocol would be to eat 1-2 hours prior to the exercise (taper the bolus you take) with 2 portions each of carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) and protein rich foods. A portion would be about a palm size.
During exercise perhaps you can have a protein drink on hand with additional carbs e.g. whey protein shake. They are a useful convenience since you can't eat an egg sandwich halfway through the boxing session a . Eat again 1-2 hours after activity.
Snacks when not in the middle of exercise could be nut butter on a banana or oat cake, omelette,, egg or chicken sandwiches, nuts and raisins (any combo of carbs and protein that is made from scratch is best but even a burger will do the job!)
You will need to keep a close eye on your bgs though and not just because of the risk of hypos. Go too high will encourage you to pee out some of the extra glucose you are eating. The additional insulin you require to deal with extra snacks should also help you store and use that energy efficiently i.e. to build muscle.

mkennerley

I think the weight gain protocol would be to eat 1-2 hours prior to the exercise (taper the bolus you take) with 2 portions each of carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) and protein rich foods. A portion would be about a palm size.
During exercise perhaps you can have a protein drink on hand with additional carbs e.g. whey protein shake. They are a useful convenience since you can't eat an egg sandwich halfway through the boxing session a . Eat again 1-2 hours after activity.
Snacks when not in the middle of exercise could be nut butter on a banana or oat cake, omelette,, egg or chicken sandwiches, nuts and raisins (any combo of carbs and protein that is made from scratch is best but even a burger will do the job!)
You will need to keep a close eye on your bgs though and not just because of the risk of hypos. Go too high will encourage you to pee out some of the extra glucose you are eating. The additional insulin you require to deal with extra snacks should also help you store and use that energy efficiently i.e. to build muscle.
This is great. Thank you very much