BP medication

Clairslloyd

Has anyone else been told that they will have to take BP meds for the rest of their lives? This is what I was told yesterday by my GP (I asked if I could stop them). Really don't want to have to take them for longer than necessary!!!! My BP yesterday was 134/84 which I thought was really good :)

Thanks for your replies :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have accepted that I will probably have to take BP meds for the rest of my life. I don't have any side effects from them so taking them along with all my other pills doesn't really bother me. My Doctor (and he may not have the same opinion as other Doctors) says that blood pressure should be below 135/85 so you are only just within that limit, and that is while taking medication. Why don't you stop thinking about taking them for the rest of your life and say to yourself you will take them for a little while more and see what your readings are then?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have know people to come off them, when feeling faint they visited the doctor and found to have low blood pressure so were taken off the tablets

But my doctor told me I will be on them for life, so unless I have problems with low pressure I assume I wil be on them

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I've been taking BP meds for well over 20yrs and will need to until my last breath ...so what?!! The alternative would be uncontrolled and elevated BP and in all probability a stroke .. yeah, a great thing to look forwards to .. NOT!!

You do of course have a choice as nobody will force you to take anything against your will in this country .. personally I choose life and so should you.. :D

ClaireG 06

As someone who is having to take 4 different types of blood pressure medication at the moment and still has blood pressure which is too high, i have to accept that i will need some form of medication for life. I am hoping that once my blood pressure is better controlled and we find the cause, that i may be able to at least drop some of the tablets.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I was on BP meds (10mg of Lisinopril) when I first started Atkins (pre-diabetes), and came off them after 6 months, when I'd lost 50lbs. I went back on Lisinopril at my own request 2 years later, when I started to regain the weight, the BP started to creep up, and I started a very stressful job.

At present I'm on 2.5mg of Lisinopril. My BP at my last blood test (last Monday) was 134/80. I asked the doctor if I could come off then again when I've finished this packet, and he said yes, but pop in to the nurse every fortnight or so to make sure things have stabilised.

So - depending on how high your BP is, it's possible to stop taking the meds, though some people will never be able to.

Why not ask your GP to decrease the dose and see what happens?

I usually take 450mg of absorbable magnesium daily because this helps with BP, but I haven't taken it for about 2 months now. I shall start again soon.

Viv 8)