Bread and Other Edible Agents of Mental Disease

M

Member496333

Thank you. I will have a read of that later tonight. If you haven’t already read it, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter is an enlightening book.

Reactions: Caeseji

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
and dairy too by the looks of it. Fascinating read.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A month with no cheese and no coffee? Think I’ll leave that one to you :D

Good luck!
The cheese I could manage.. the coffee... hmm that's where I'm scared.. and I hate it black..although the caffeine addiction could well benefit by being curtailed..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a lot of " this researcher reports this finding, so it must be true that......" I think they may have cherry picked their sources. There is danger certainly of this happeneing, and some of their science left me feeling uneasy.

It is a discourse study in that it has no checks in place or counter balance - it is in effect a nerds equivalent of a blog, and comes down largely to their own opinions. i wonder what other endocrinologists make of their findings.

Interesting nonetheless, and may contain valid conclusions. Certainly wheat flour in pastries meets the reward (~exorphins) criteria. I do believe that gut mcrobionta are important. just not sure this is the definitive answer to it all,

And dairy may be similar, certainly whipped cream in eclairs is a case in point. Or ice cream sodas, or just double cream. But if double cream is such an exorphin source, then it is mainly protein, so where do these opiod like molecules come from? I am left mindful of the theory of Phlogiston proposed by Dalton to explain the gases that make up air. I expect that this is a simplified version of what is really triggering these illnesses, but then again, most endocrinology research is not written in english so that may be why they wrote this report.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The cheese I could manage.. the coffee... hmm that's where I'm scared.. and I hate it black..although the caffeine addiction could well benefit by being curtailed..
How do you intend to measure the resulting effects?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Yeah.. I wasn't so keen on that bit.. I may have to try a dairy free July just to see...
Oh no, cannot do without my cheese. It keeps my BS down

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you intend to measure the resulting effects?
Weight and blood sugar I guess.. all I can monitor at home.. oh and ketones probably.oh yes and how soon I get banned from here for being ultra grumpy!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
You know it's ironic that I thought all this time that my BG levels were what was inducing my bipolar disorder considering when I went low-carb even liberally it disappeared overnight so it was before full on ketosis. Now it makes a lot of sense that bread/grains may have been inducing such a state in me because I was a MASSIVE sandwich fiend most of my life and once I went low carb the bread went with it. It's kind of surreal to think about it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know it's ironic that I thought all this time that my BG levels were what was inducing my bipolar disorder considering when I went low-carb even liberally it disappeared overnight so it was before full on ketosis. Now it makes a lot of sense that bread/grains may have been inducing such a state in me because I was a MASSIVE sandwich fiend most of my life and once I went low carb the bread went with it. It's kind of surreal to think about it.
I also wonder if it has major addictive qualities as it seems so hard for people to stop craving it. We have so many posts about bread and bread substitutes that I have to wonder what goes into it that keeps us addicted.

M

Member496333

I also wonder if it has major addictive qualities as it seems so hard for people to stop craving it. We have so many posts about bread and bread substitutes that I have to wonder what goes into it that keeps us addicted.

Indeed. Bread appears to be the link in the chain of carbohydrate addiction that’s almost impossible to break. It’s the one thing that almost everyone, myself once included, could never imagine giving up. Bread used to spike my blood glucose more than table sugar. Nowadays I can’t imagine eating it. Seems weird. Just thin slices of cake :hungover:

Each to their own though of course. I’m not judging those who like bread.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Indeed. Bread appears to be the link in the chain of carbohydrate addiction that’s almost impossible to break. It’s the one thing that almost everyone, myself once included, could never imagine giving up. Bread used to spike my blood glucose more than table sugar. Nowadays I can’t imagine eating it. Seems weird. Just thin slices of cake :hungover:

Each to their own though of course. I’m not judging those who like bread.
Wasn't there that finding that modern grains have been modified to have an almost opoid effect to them? That would explain it, just like any other addiction really it would be hard to let go.

Treating low carb bread these days like methadone to a heroin addiction. Again I want to iterate that I am not judging anyone either for those that enjoy eating it! Just how I see it these days with how much it disturbed my mental processes.

Thin slices of cake is a great way to look at it though :woot:

Reactions: Member496333

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Note to self: Never mention the fact that your all time favourite bread product was home made choc-chip Brioche (yeah, the bread that thinks it is a cake!). Good job it was a faff to make so that it was rarely made - dodged a bullet there... Oh... wait...

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Wasn't there that finding that modern grains have been modified to have an almost opoid effect to them? That would explain it, just like any other addiction really it would be hard to let go.

Dont know about opiod effect but modern grain has been selectivly bred for flour ect. to what they are now....
Very hard to break any bad habbit that is also bred into us.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll be honest, it is the thought of not having bread/rotis again that I found hardest when I heard I had T2. Thanks for sharing all the information on bread. It is useful to know.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dont know about opiod effect but modern grain has been selectivly bred for flour ect. to what they are now....
Very hard to break any bad habbit that is also bred into us.
Bread into us... That gave me a chuckle thinking of that pun then but you are right there that's for sure. Mutant grain in some way now, who knows what it could do to us?