1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bread is the answer

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by gefmayhem, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gefmayhem

gefmayhem · Well-Known Member

A small story in todays Daily Record page 4-
    A team of Scots scientists have developed a new kind of bread to help fight diabetes.
    The new loaves are high in oats, which experts say can help to control the condition.
    The believe some sufferers could avoid the need for drugs or injections if they switch to oat bread as soon as they are diagnosed.
    Dr Alex Johnstone, a nutrition scientist at Aberdeen's Rowett Institute, said: 'Scots are notorious for not eating enough fibre.'
    'But oats are good for keeping guts healthy. We'd like to see this developed'
    Scientists have also developed a barley bread to reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol.

There is a bit more but nothing to do with diabetes

Thoughts?

2. hazey276

hazey276 · Well-Known Member

hi jefmayhem, I don't mind getting my oats but i don't know about the bread !!!!!! :D :D :D

3. lilibet

lilibet · Well-Known Member

Tell them to ask some people with diabetes to have a plate of porridge and then test their bs afterwards!!

Oat bread may be better than a big slice of Scottish Plain (''outsider toasted with hundreds of Lurpak, sob!) but doubt it will make much of a difference to me.
    However, it may work for some.

Personally I'd like research to focus on a cure.

4. caitycakes

caitycakes · Well-Known Member

Hi Lilibet,

I'm with you. I would much prefer research to be focused on a cure. I can totally empathise with the outsider toasted and loads of lurpak :( I still have loads of lurpak but it's on crispbreads from low carb megastore with piles of home made egg mayo on top.

Caitycakes x

5. SilverAndEbony

SilverAndEbony · Well-Known Member

Does the research into alternative types of bread really mean no-one is looking for a 'cure'?
    No. I didn't think so. I don't believe there will be a 'cure' any time soon, so anything that helps me keep control of my BG levels until then very welcome to me.

6. gillyh

gillyh · Well-Known Member

Porridge is good for me. So anybody knw whether this bread is actually for sale? If so, where? How much? :?:

7. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

I can happily eat oatcakes even for breakfast

http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/content/

and ryebread during the day as long as I pay attention to portion sizes (ryebread is very dense, a slice is 70g = 40g carbs so I do half a slice with butter)

whereas I am limited to the evening for wheat bread

Oats contain good levels of beta-glucans but you're going to need to test to see whether or not it spikes you and keep your portions controlled, I ate masses of muesli because I believed it was healthy, and look what happened . . .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook