Bread!!!

mariab

Hi Everyone

Having been so good for the last week on low carb diet I thought I would see what effect my previous 'normal' day's food would have on my BS.

Breakfast - 2 slices of toast BS before 7.1 2hours after 13.3
Lunch - salad sandwich with brown bread BS before 8.3 2 hours after 11.6

Also, I've felt really lethargic and 'muzzy' all day today - don't think that this is a coincidence.

Needless to say, experiment over and I'm back to low carb stuff.

Maria

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, How interesting! I find if I have bread [wholemeal] more than 3 days together, can only limit myself to 2- 3 slices per day also. I get really sluggish in my sense of wellbeing and in my head too. I have worked out to split the days up and vary my meals bread free somedays, same with the pasta [small snack sized portion] too just up to twice a week is enough for me. Cant handle it otherwise.You're body is a great teacher, I find! Anna.x :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

4 slices of bread in one day would probably push everyone's blood sugars up :!:

I slice of toast with an egg, scrambled or poached, at breakfast would have made a difference and you might have been able to tolerate that. It is a good idea not to have carbohydrates on their own but balance the meal out when you are testing your tolerance.

An open salad sandwich with some protein for lunch probably wouldn't have sent you so high either.

Trial and error and be guided by your meter. :wink:

I don't know what bread you used by most can tolerate Burgen soya and linseed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My local baker sells a 'Low GI' loaf which I always buy. I haven't measured my BS using it but hope that it does help flatten the carb spike

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also can manage Burgen I have 2 slices for breakfast with as much cheese on as I can fit cos I am a skinny .
CAROL

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I eat lots of bread never really sends my bs up much. I would be lost without my yummy Scottish plain bread :D

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I'm feeling naughty at the weekend I swap the porridge for a croissant and it's fine!
Saturday was 6.4 before and 6.6 after!!!

I try to avoid the bread during the week though unless it is one slice with a salad lunch so maybe it is the one off indulgence issue that keeps it OK.

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up eating any bread more than 6 months ago as it send my glucose up. I find I don't miss it at all.

kjt57

I always eat Burgen Soya and Linseed bread. Normally have a sadwich for lunch, dont have a problem with raised readings after.

pixor

I find bread is the worst food for sending my blood sugars up, and try to avoid it all together.

I've been using Atkins crackers as a substitute. My wife says they taste like cardboard, but they are better than nothing!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
kjt57 said:
I always eat Burgen Soya and Linseed bread. Normally have a sadwich for lunch, dont have a problem with raised readings after.

I'm OK too with burgen bread and also now my bg has been well controlled for a couple of years I find I can easily eat a two slice sandwich made from Tesco's Rustic Wholegrain bread. I would get very bored if I had to deny myself small amounts of bread but thankfully with tight portion control I dont have to :D

confusedwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any bread used to send my hubby sky high on his readings but today I have made my own using agave syrup instead of sugar and wholemeal flour and he hasn't had any rise at all. This is great for us as I love making bread and the kids love eating my home made bread so now maybe he can join us for a slim slice or two occasionally.

Barkley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
grumpy people
I used to eat bread for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but, in the last few weeks I have not had any. I feel a lot better for it plus lost weight and my sugar levels are doing really well.

bjsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm new to this, only diagnosed about 3 weeks ago, but I'm finding bread raises my BG whether it be white (worst), wholemeal or granary. Need to think of something other that sandwiches to bring to work for lunch. Any suggestions?

Barkley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
grumpy people
You could always try low carb crackers. with cottage cheese and fruit, try having bread every other day I'm sure that whould work

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to this, only diagnosed about 3 weeks ago, but I'm finding bread raises my BG whether it be white (worst), wholemeal or granary. Need to think of something other that sandwiches to bring to work for lunch. Any suggestions?

Have you tried testing just one slice of bread with a meal? I can easily cope with one slice, but not two. One is better than none for me.

Barkley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
grumpy people
You may like tuc,ritz, or ryvitas. If you look on the supermarket shelves and read the labels for carb contents it will help you.