Breakfast on the go (no Oats!)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all,

I'm looking for some low carb <20g no cook breakfast that doesn't involve oats (i know huge ask!!)

Until now I've had nairns breakfast biscuits but I think I might be allergic to oats (or the protein thats like gluten in oats) as I'm coeliac.

Any ideas?

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lived for a while in China, and you buy hard-boiled eggs everywhere there as a snack food. Sometimes i hard-boil half a dozen in one go, so that could give you a no-cook breakfast. And I sometimes do the same with a pack of sausages. Yoghurt with chopped nuts in? I also have a Dutch friend who finds it quite odd that I don't have cheese for breakfast. The options are endless - it's our ideas of breakfast which you realise are a bit narrow.

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lived for a while in China, and you buy hard-boiled eggs everywhere there as a snack food. Sometimes i hard-boil half a dozen in one go, so that could give you a no-cook breakfast. And I sometimes do the same with a pack of sausages. Yoghurt with chopped nuts in? I also have a Dutch friend who finds it quite odd that I don't have cheese for breakfast. The options are endless - it's our ideas of breakfast which you realise are a bit narrow.

Thanks I know I just need to think outside the box a bit more, but finding it hard hence posting here!

Does anyone have whipped cream and fruit and nuts for breakfast? I would think that would cover most bases? I find yog spikes me massively if I have normal and I cant stand greek!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a phase where I regularly ate leftovers from the evening meal the night before! But you've also got to have something you can literally stomach first thing in the morning. My normal breakfast is 2 eggs, scrambled. That's it. It seems fine.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried this recently which was successful, substituting the oatmeal/flour with ground almonds, omitting the orange altogether and using Stevia instead of caster sugar. It makes a large cheesecake, lasts for several days and travels well when sliced. I keep intending to adapt it to a savoury version with bacon or smoked salmon

Attachments

• Ocado_ Recipes_ Baked Breakfast Cheesecake (1).pdf
    66 KB · Views: 776
D

Deleted member 43917

Tinned mackerel fillets in tomato sauce with cucumber slices, mashed sardines in a little wine or cider vinegar with the same or celery sticks. I realise that at first it may seem odd to have it in the morning, but actually its filling, healthy and and tastes a lot nicer that it may sound.

Is it just flavoured yoghurt or low fat yogurt that spikes you?? If you can't stomach Greek yogurt - are you ok with Yeo Valley wholemilk yogurt with a few nuts and/or berries - or did you mean that its a no to that too??

Some healthfood shops stock flaxseed crackers which are nice with some guacamole, hummus, egg, pate etc. Or I believe there's a recipe on the forum somewhere for them if you wanted to make a batch - they look quite easy to do.

Your idea for cream sounds nice - perhaps having some flaxseed sprinkled on it would be nice sometimes too??

Also, possibly continental style meat/cheese and instead of bread, celery sticks/cucumber/olives/pepper/tomato etc

Lastly, if you wanted to invest in a nutribullet or other blender - a vegetable smoothie to take with you for breakfast made from whole veggies and water and/or almond or coconut milk?

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering the other day what you'd ended up trying as your breakfast. I'm experimenting with no breakfast at all.

Reactions: 4 people

lucynical

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I know I just need to think outside the box a bit more, but finding it hard hence posting here!

Does anyone have whipped cream and fruit and nuts for breakfast? I would think that would cover most bases? I find yog spikes me massively if I have normal and I cant stand greek!

If you really like yoghurt you could try yoghurt made with coconut milk. My favourite brand is one called CoYo. It's vegan but so creamy and the vanilla one is really tasty with really low sugars. I buy mine in Planet Organic but if you don't live near one, you can can order it on Amazon I believe. It's a little on the pricey side, I'll admit, but when trying to keep low sugars sometimes you have to take an easy win like that if you get some enjoyment out of eating things you thought you may not be able to have otherwise!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning All,

So recently I've been on holiday due to Christmas so have just been skipping breakfast! thats def the easiest option.

@apple123 I havent tried wholemilk yog, but due to start trying a paleo diet at the end of the month so trying to cut down on dairy at the moment. I'll try it when(if ) i reintroduce :) I like the cracker idea and will remember the fish for later on.

@JenniferW I'm going with frittata/ egg muffins currently as the frontrunner as I can do a big batch on a sunday for the week :)

@lucynical Ive tried coyo, I'm really lucky as Goodness direct is on my doorstep so can get the majority of things from them :) my local tesco do them too :D I'm not a huge fan but desperate times and all!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I don't usually eat much before 12 noon but I do carry baby bell cheeses and a small plastic box of mixed nuts with me in testing kit bag which I find useful when on the go. A flask with bulletproof coffee or some Banting chocolate or coco would certainly keep your tummy happy for a few hours. As long as it is low carb and works for you, then go for it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold sliced ham and sliced cheese.

Just open fridge, grab 2 slices of each.
Layer in hand (like a sarnie)
and wander off, munching.
Delicious.

No cultery, washing up, or phaff - but you will need to wash your hand...

D

Deleted member 43917

Forgot to mention also that its possible to buy coconut yogurt (dairy free) at some health food shops - although i haven't been able to get it near me, but a family member has it as she is dairy free.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all,

I'm looking for some low carb <20g no cook breakfast that doesn't involve oats (i know huge ask!!)

Until now I've had nairns breakfast biscuits but I think I might be allergic to oats (or the protein thats like gluten in oats) as I'm coeliac.

Any ideas?

9 bars are good to eat, packed full of seeds. I like the original bar, on offer at Asda's at 50p a bar,15 carbs, or I buy a pack of 5 in a box from Tesco, just over 11 carbs, as it's a smaller bar.
Edited to say they do come in different varieties, pumpkin, peanut etc