1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast when Low Carb

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by mo53, Jul 24, 2014.

1. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

I have been reading a lot of threads about Low Carb diets. Usually I would have toast or porridge for breakfast but of cou,rse these are carbs. What kind of things do other peopleeat for breakfast? Thanks for the help

2. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Boiled eggs, omelette, bacon and egg with mushrooms and tomatoes. Coconut flour pancakes with bacon and no sugar maple syrup. A leg of chicken. Homemade egg fu yung.

• Like Like x 6
  3. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you dawnmc. I am just starting today and I need to shop. I have some cooked ham and yoghurts which would be a start. I just didnt want to have toast as that just wouldnt be starting.

4. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Plain Greek yoghurt with nuts, seed, berries. Just as quick as cereals if you're in a hurry.

• Like Like x 4
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Bubble and squeak with mixed veg instead of potatoes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you. Im getting the idea now lol my mind had gone blank and it couldnt get past toast and porridge. Ive had some ham. I must get organised

7. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't forget sardines, chicken/turkey strips , soya flakes and soya milk , protein powder , protein bread.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Are tinned sardines in sauce ok? How about mackerel? Where do you buy your protein bread? Thank you for your help

9. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Check the label in case the sauce has added sugar. Mackerel fried in butter would be great.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No not in sauce , just plain in olive oil is my preference. I eat mackerel (peppered) for lunch , couldn't stomach it for breakfast :) Protein bread in Aldi, not sure if they sell it in the UK ALDI though.

11. Redbegonia

Redbegonia Type 2 · Member

I thought that porridge made with soya milk and canderel would be ok for breakfast?

12. south711

south711 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eggs and bacon with fried bread, include mushrooms, not a problem, got fedup with porridge , check before eating and 2 hours after,normally only a few rises, so eggs are good for you, and haddock, kippers, ok but does spike a bit higher, but comes down soon. I try most things for Breakfast always have a yoghourt plain, and then a black coffee.

13. Redbegonia

Thanks but is the fried bread good, I like the idea of smoked haddock

14. Randburg

Randburg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    if you want to go low carb to loose weight and control blood glucose, I find it really is good.
    Look at the forums on LCHF9Low Carb High Fat) Diets etc and you will get the idea
    Bread generally is not good for low carb

15. Redbegonia

Thanks that's helpful

16. Randburg

Randburg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you a recipe for pancakes made with coconut for me please, sounds great

17. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have posted it somewhere. But its basically a dessert spoon of coconut flour and almond flour, I also use the same of protein powder half a tsp of baking powder and an egg. Whisk all together. You can add some vanilla essence but I get the vanilla protein powder. Add some water or coconut/almond milk. Its quite a thick gloop. Heat the pan with butter, then drop a good tbsp in the pan. They don't take long to cook then turn, they are yummy, can be a bit dry but I slather them with butter and the zero carb maple syrup (lowcarbmegastore). Enjoy.

18. cath99

cath99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i have greek youghut full fat few strawberrys and bit cake sprinkled on i makeand of course cinamon .. i start workat 6am so have to be fast for me x

19. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm finding breakfasts difficult.
    Getting sick of yoghurt and nuts and don't have the time to be cooking.
    Today I had the time so had a ham omelette with tinned toms and cheese with fried bread and bacon and a bullet proof coffee.
    That was ten this morning and I haven't had the urge to eat since ... bloods at 6.0 before and 5.7 right now but ... breakfasts are a bit of a bind just now.
    Wife spotted freshly baked muesli bread in Morrisons today ... ok do you think?

20. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have to keep reminding myself it's low carb not no carb.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook