breakfast

marcskinman

hi folks.

i was wondering what other diabetics have for breakfast? i am type 1 and find my sugars spike after breakfast. i tend to go for porridge and berries or something protein based with vegetables like eggs and spinach on a slice of toast. ive tried to stay away from the branded cereals and move more towards a protein based breakfast but my BG still seems to stay in the teens and i have to correct again 2 hours later.

any help? :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have porridge usually (I steer clear of the berries though, occasionally a small amount of apple), or a bagel with cream cheese and salmon or bacon. I carb count and so give Novorapid accordingly. I've never spiked after breakfast. Maybe your breakfast dose needs adjusted?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have weetabix couldn't face anything else that time of day!!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sunflower and Chia buttered toast and Marmite. Sometimes homemade multiseed and almond bread toasted with butter and Marmite.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ambersilva said:
Sunflower and Chia buttered toast and Marmite. Sometimes homemade multiseed and almond bread toasted with butter and Marmite.
Nice.
Do you do bed and breakfast?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MCMLXXIII said:
Ambersilva said:
Nice.
Do you do bed and breakfast?

No! But I have breakfast in bed. My hubby is well trained!

sherrygirl

Hi there, my grandfather has a diabetes and he's [mod edit] for breakfast is fruit and a toast. He has a milk that is low at sugar level, he also exercises at the morning to maintain he's energy and he loves to eat vegetables specially bitter gourd. He also go to the clinic at least twice a month to have a check up.

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I either have porridge, porridge with berries, toast, cinnamon toast, Weetabix & toast (Weetabix is not enough on its own and you will be starving an hour later), scrambled eggs on toast, Poached eggs on toast or Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on toast (Toast is always brown bread).

Smoked salmon is quite cheap at the supermarkets at the moment and you don't need a lot of it per serving.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I have Greek style natural yogurt (full fat) with raspberries and or strawberries and or bluberries and or blackberries with a decent sprinkle of ground flax.... By far my favourite meal of the day, I look forward to it :)

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Low carb sausage, hard-boiled duck egg & mayonnaise: very quick as I keep a ready-cooked stock of eggs & bangers in the fridge; quick zap in the microwave for the sausage. Porridge or toast would send the BG soaring, but I prefer the savoury stuff anyway. Weekend treat is smoked salmon & scrambled eggs. Diabetes has made breakfast time much more yummy!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[quote="Sketcher] Weekend treat is smoked salmon & scrambled eggs. Diabetes has made breakfast time much more yummy!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]
Smoked salmon, get you, all posh eh?:lol:

Lone Ranger

I was diagnosed type 2 in jan - visited the Diabetes Nurse for first time today and was recommended to give up Ready Brek and have Weetabix or shredded wheat . I had a finger prick blood test done just after midday and had eaten Ready Brek with Agave ( I stupidly thought that Low Glycemic Index meant this would be ok) around 8.45 . My blood sugar was 20.....

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ready brek is the devil's porridge, which is also an exhibition on south west scotland but that's not important right now.
Try jordans jumbo oats instead;-)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Traditional porridge oats made with milk & water with yogurt, pumpkin seeds, linseed's and blueberries added, delicious and filling and kind to my postprandial bg reading.

On a weekend I'll have a boiled eggs with seeded toast smothered in Marmite :twisted:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I splurged today and went for a sausage and hash brown roll. Tasty :D

Lone Ranger

I am considering getting a microwave to do porridge and complaining to letting agency regarding slow draining sink - have been trying to avoid producing too much water after washing up. Have just had weetabix and am about to have toast ...not sure if can have 1 or 2 slices tho. Anyone know if grape nuts ok?.......or does this cereal show how old
I am sorry to hear ready Brek is the devils cereal

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't want to use a microwave porridge, soak your oats in water overnight. This makes them cook faster if you do it on the hob the next day :)