Breakfast?

hornplayer

Ok, so I'm not good in the mornings. I never have been. I'm naturally nocturnal, I think. I often feel sick in the mornings - it doesn't make any difference what my blood sugar readings are, and, before you ask, no, I'm NOT pregnant! I've felt sick in the mornings for as long as I can remember, - probably since college. I really don't want to eat breakfast. During term time, I eat something really small on the way to my first school. It's usually zero carb, but my blood sugar almost always keeps climbing til around lunch time regardless. (Does anyone know why that would be??)

My question is this. Do I have to eat breakfast if I'm not hungry and I don't want it?

My diabetic nurse isn't much use. She just keeps waffling on about slow release carbs, multi grains and bananas. - it's almost like the words "low carb" do not compute! - let alone the words gluten free and allergic to bananas that are written in my file! I don't have much faith in the diabetic team at my surgery and there is only one doctor there (out of eight or so) who I now trust, and he isn't one of the diabetic team.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't eat breakfast and just eat some small non carb snack on your way to work, your liver will dump glucose in to your system to keep you going until you eat lunch. This is why your levels are rising. Then of course, your after lunch readings will be higher. The only way to avoid this is to eat breakfast. What about a yogurt (plain) with a few berries added? Presumably you couldn't face bacon and eggs. I always had cereal and milk before diabetes, hated yogurt, but now I love it and have it every day for breakfast, currently with a few chopped up strawberries.

Reactions: 2 people

hornplayer

Thanks for the reply. :)

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I eat or not, or what I eat. Strawberries are a big no no for me, but I get your point about berries. I've tried that, with nuts and seeds, and scrambled egg, sliced meat and various combinations of eggs and stuff. Doesn't seem to work. Bizarrely, an apple will drop my blood sugar like a stone. - could it be that I need to eat some carbs in the morning to "turn my liver off" - for want of a better way of putting it??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always been a person that can't eat straight out of bed. Makes me sick. My breakfast has usually about an hour after getting out of. By then I'm getting hungry and have a normal portion meal. Not sure why that is, I just listen to my body. Work days I pack a couple hard boiled eggs from my fridge, slice of cheese and my thermos of coffee. Breakfast is at my desk about a hour after waking up.

I've also found that a hand full of nuts works well as a breakfast substitute when I'm out of eggs.