1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

breakfast!

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Charisma_1630, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Charisma_1630

Charisma_1630 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning.

I was wondering if anyone can advise on if there are any supermarket brought granola cereals that aren't too bad on the blood sugar. Just would like to swap it up a little from time to time as I'm getting bored. I started having sachet porridge a while ago but it was spiking me high each day before bringing me back to normal at lunch. My nurse thinks it's because it was the sachet stuff so it's more processed but for me it took the ease out of weighing it each day!

2. Opalshards

Opalshards Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    I don't know about granola, but have you tried Quinoa? It is not a grain but a seed, I prepare mine much like rice 20 minutes in a microwave. Boil your water and add 1 cup of quinoa to 1 and a half cups of hot water. This should make enough for about 3 days. Cover and keep in the fridge. I eat mine with honey and Cinnamon. Can be used in a lot of different ways, savoury as well as sweet. I bought my first lot from Holland and Barrett. But now buy it from ASDA and its cheaper. And wont spike you like porridge.

3. Charisma_1630

Oooh thank u. I have heard of that maybe I'll give that a try. Always willing to try things that'll be better on the blood sugar! :)

4. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Charisma_1630 I suspect the instant "oats" is a problem for a lot of Ds:arghh:
    When you find a "cereal" that works for you (I have a nut style "muesli") I tend to package it in little re-sealable pots for quick access:)
    Good luck with finding the replacement:cool:

5. miriamy

miriamy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We make our own. You can choose what to toast, how to toast and what sweetener to use if needed. I use xylotol as it doesn't affect blood glucose. When the flakes are toasted to the desired amount I sprinkle them with a desert spoon of xylotol and swirls it around d in tge pan to distribute evenly Tgen I add it to the home made muesli mix or store separately to use as a sprinkle on top or on top of the crumble. Also tasty.

6. foodflav

foodflav Parent · Newbie

Seriously Never Know about granola :(

7. Charisma_1630

Thanks guys!! I was in Tesco earlier and saw some lizi's granola which I see gets mentioned sometimes on here. So thought ill give that a try and see how it affects my sugars. Got some unsweetened almond milk to go with it too!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook