breakfast!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning.

I was wondering if anyone can advise on if there are any supermarket brought granola cereals that aren't too bad on the blood sugar. Just would like to swap it up a little from time to time as I'm getting bored. I started having sachet porridge a while ago but it was spiking me high each day before bringing me back to normal at lunch. My nurse thinks it's because it was the sachet stuff so it's more processed but for me it took the ease out of weighing it each day!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
I don't know about granola, but have you tried Quinoa? It is not a grain but a seed, I prepare mine much like rice 20 minutes in a microwave. Boil your water and add 1 cup of quinoa to 1 and a half cups of hot water. This should make enough for about 3 days. Cover and keep in the fridge. I eat mine with honey and Cinnamon. Can be used in a lot of different ways, savoury as well as sweet. I bought my first lot from Holland and Barrett. But now buy it from ASDA and its cheaper. And wont spike you like porridge.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh thank u. I have heard of that maybe I'll give that a try. Always willing to try things that'll be better on the blood sugar! :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Good morning.

I was wondering if anyone can advise on if there are any supermarket brought granola cereals that aren't too bad on the blood sugar. Just would like to swap it up a little from time to time as I'm getting bored. I started having sachet porridge a while ago but it was spiking me high each day before bringing me back to normal at lunch. My nurse thinks it's because it was the sachet stuff so it's more processed but for me it took the ease out of weighing it each day!
@Charisma_1630 I suspect the instant "oats" is a problem for a lot of Ds:arghh:
When you find a "cereal" that works for you (I have a nut style "muesli") I tend to package it in little re-sealable pots for quick access:)
Good luck with finding the replacement:cool:

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
We make our own. You can choose what to toast, how to toast and what sweetener to use if needed. I use xylotol as it doesn't affect blood glucose. When the flakes are toasted to the desired amount I sprinkle them with a desert spoon of xylotol and swirls it around d in tge pan to distribute evenly Tgen I add it to the home made muesli mix or store separately to use as a sprinkle on top or on top of the crumble. Also tasty.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys!! I was in Tesco earlier and saw some lizi's granola which I see gets mentioned sometimes on here. So thought ill give that a try and see how it affects my sugars. Got some unsweetened almond milk to go with it too!