Breakfast

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried just about every ceral there is and am currently having 50mg of Muesli for breakfast; it is the ASDA special(!) so cheap there is hardly any noticeable fruit in it. It has 35.1gm of carbohydrate in 50gm and there is 8.2gm of sugar in that.

My problem is my bloods stilll rise unacceptably into the teens after eating it so can anyone suggest a breakfast cereal which might not raise sugar levels so high. I know people mention all sorts of fancy breakfasts but I want to eat a cereal of some sort.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried just about every ceral there is and am currently having 50mg of Muesli for breakfast; it is the ASDA special(!) so cheap there is hardly any noticeable fruit in it. It has 35.1gm of carbohydrate in 50gm and there is 8.2gm of sugar in that.

My problem is my bloods stilll rise unacceptably into the teens after eating it so can anyone suggest a breakfast cereal which might not raise sugar levels so high. I know people mention all sorts of fancy breakfasts but I want to eat a cereal of some sort.
Nope. All cereal spikes me and I think you will find any cereal will spike you. I want to eat honey nut cornflakes for breakfast but now have yogurt 5.5g per 100g. With a few berries and a small sprinkle of granola. No more than 15g of carbohydrates total.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, there's no wonder you get spikes with 35.1g of carbs + the carbs in the milk (so probably > 40g of carbs in a single meal) - mine would be in the teens too if I ate that. Unfortunately, we have to give some things up if we want to stay healthy, and cereal is close to the top of that list

I've started having home made greek style yoghurt (just strain ordinary home made plain yoghurt through coffee filters for 5 or 6 hours) and a few raspberries for my breakfast when I want something quick and easy (and only 4-5g of carbs)

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, but virtually all grains are carbs that we convert to glucose, so small portions of muesli with no-sugar added in it or over it are the way to go for cereals. Eggs and bacon are much better.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, not really what I wanted to hear but I am sure good advice which I ought to heed.

I cannot afford bacon and eggs every day much as I would like to and the yoghurts are also a bit costly for me (a poor pensioner!!!)

Do you think maybe one slice of toast and bovril would be OK; I use the Warburtons 5 seeds bread and it doesn't appear to spike me if I have a couple of slices at lunchtime.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've tried most cereals it looks as though they are making your BS rise. However have you tried bran flakes and adding nuts and blueberries to them?