Breakfast

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried just about every ceral there is and am currently having 50mg of Muesli for breakfast; it is the ASDA special(!) so cheap there is hardly any noticeable fruit in it. It has 35.1gm of carbohydrate in 50gm and there is 8.2gm of sugar in that.

My problem is my bloods stilll rise unacceptably into the teens after eating it so can anyone suggest a breakfast cereal which might not raise sugar levels so high. I know people mention all sorts of fancy breakfasts but I want to eat a cereal of some sort.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I make my own but its a bit expensive.
Mixed nuts zapped in the grinder.two tablespoons full,I grind a large packet,it lasts two weeks.

Two tablespoonfulls of dried porridge oats.
One tablespoonfull of flaxseed.
Whole fat milk.
This may not work for everyone but it dosent spike my BS.
I cant face bacon eggs in a morning,so this suits me fine.

M

mrspuddleduck

I have 2 Weetabix. 27g carbs, 1.7g sugar. Thats without any add ons like milk or fruit. About the only cereal my bs can cope with but we all react slightly differently to different foods. Good luck Sue x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I reccommend no breakfast cereals as the healthiest option.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
i'm afraid its just not possible to eat cereal its just a no~no if you want to keep your blood sugar down, a lot of pips on the forum including me have all been through the same process as you and done exactly what you have done and all come to the conclusion cereal is the "cereal killer". Its a hard pill to swallow but that is the facts, i've personally stood at the shelves of cereals in a supermarket for an hour looking at the carb content on all the packs, wishing there was just one with low carb content, hoping for my fairy cerealmother to appear and wave her magic kellogg wand but the sad truth is there isn't one and it gets even more complicated than that if you go down the rabbit hole.

I read this http://wellnessmama.com/26585/cereal/ and found it interesting, gives a few reasons why cereal is the way it is, mr kellogg ain't the nice guy we think he actually is. But if you do find one pm me. gl.

cereal-killer-4086.jpg

Still think Tony is a nice tiger?

Mikeyoungish1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I put my own cereal together, roasted oats, millet, barley flakes, dried raisins, apricots, figs, lots pumkin and sunflower seeds. It taste beautiful and my bs is only spiked to 10 for two hours when i drop nicely to 4.4 no probs. Use skimmed goats milk.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I can have porridge so long as I put a large tablespoon of coconut oil in it.
Have also started chucking a handful of desiccated into the mix too.
If I have run out of oil butter will do.
Without I cannot eat porridge.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I can have porridge so long as I put a large tablespoon of coconut oil in it.
Have also started chucking a handful of desiccated into the mix too.
If I have run out of oil butter will do.
Without I cannot eat porridge.

Hi JACKTHELAD

I'm presuming the theory behind the coconut oil in the porridge is that it slows down the rate of absorption, so doesn't spike the BG to a ridiculous level. Would that be right? I really miss the quickness of cereal for breakfast. Buying all the ingredients in to make a homemade muesli is so expensive. Wonder if buying the Atkins muesli, then adding some nuts & seeds to that would work. I might check it out.

Ali. X

Rosemercedes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the same as @Patricia21 except add a grated apple and substitute milk for 1-2 tbs natural yogurt. It was working wonderfully on advice of dietician, until earlier this week when bs started to spike.