Brittle Asthma and Secondary diabetes!

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
Anyone else here have diabetes as a result of using steriods long term?

I take prednisone for asthma and have done for about 4/5 years, and now I don't make any of my own Insulin. I also have steriod induced myopathy so my muscles are breaking down.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya my name is Louise. I have brittle asthma and am on prednesolone, methatrexate, seritide, atrovent and vemtolin too name a few. I am also ??? Type2 diabetic but have got MELAS a genetic disorder which means i a prone to diabetes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Evelemon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So is this steroid intake the reason behind my spikes when I have not eaten anything to warrant them

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
Hi I also have asthma (I am type 2diabetic). I find cortisone drugs will indeed push my sugars up, big time. I was diagnosed with asthma at 21 and in that time have used a great many meds for it. I even have my own nebulizer. I now only use a turbohaler called Symbicort. I use it for both relief and as a preventative. < this is new for me this past fall. Since the change in protocol I've used ventolin maybe three times and haven't done a single neb. I can even go out and shovel snow now; no wheeze, no tightness and no sore chest. it's been thirty years since I've been able to do that, phenomenal. :) I'm on something called the SMART protocol.

tracey1907

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi im an Asthmatic too and have been since birth and im 50 this year so I guess over the years I probably would have had at least 1,000,000 mg of steroids, I was only diagnosed with Diabetes a year ago and they said it was due to my age, but they were testing me for 20 years before that due to having a problem with abcesses. Im beginning to wonder now whether it could be the effects of all the steroids I have taken over the years, especially as there is no family history of diabetes

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
Yes, I was on Prednisone for 14 years straight and was actually told I'd never get off them. I did, started working out, slowly and lost weight and life improved about ten years ago. I wonder too about the asthma and location, when I was living in the Southern part of the province the attacks were infrequent, it was while living down there I got off the cortisone drugs. Moved back to the NE area and started all over again, including some weight gain, about thirty pounds. The only the change to Symbicort has made a difference and even now, chest is feeling great.
I read an article somewhere awhile ago about cortisone induced diabetes. So many things to think about, hey?
I'm finding that carbs can be an issue for me and slowly getting used to eating differently. I'm trying more of a moderate carb eating plan than low, at this time anyway and full fat. Not hard to find lower carbs foods but the full fat can be a challenge. It's coming and sugars are stabilizing.
Family history? Just my Mom and she was diagnosed at 71 so not sure that's significant. *shrugs Guess I will ask when I see the Dr next.
Take good care!