Broccoli...

My boyfriend is type 1, only had diabetes for 3 years (he is 25) and he does have struggle with his levels, but is getting better. He is part of the DAPHNE course so this is helping him out a bit. He can't cook etc... so am trying to help him out and maybe encourage him to eat some foods which he might benefit from!

So he mentioned Broccoli - Am I right in saying this is good to incorporate in a diabetics diet?
Again cinnamon? In what form?

I was thinking smoothie it all together!!
I know these things aren't guaranteed to help out, but I am sure he (and I) could do with some extra vitamins anyway!

Any suggestions?

sugar2

Well, I love brocolli!
Eating brocolli and cinnamon will not alas improve his diabetes control on their own..but we should eat more green veg, and that includes us diabetics. Cooking him green veg, without too much strach will mean that he doesn't need so much insulin.

I have to say though...the best thing you can do is teach him to cook! :mrgreen:

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Welcome to the forum, God.

Broccoli hit the headlines back last year:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7541639.stm

As a general rule, any food or supplement which has antioxidant properties will be
of benefit to a diabetic.

Best regards,
timo.

P.S. I would rather go to an early grave than drink a broccoli and cinnamon smoothie. :mrgreen: