Broken sleep

dolly2

I need to pass urine between 4 / 5 times at night during an eight hour sleep. I am also very thirsty each time I wake up. Can anyone give any advice as the broken sleep every night is leaving me so tired :?: I am type 2

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Dolly, how's your diet? I cut the carbs e.g. no pasta, bread, potatoes. And what are your BS readings? Are you testing to see what food does to your blood?

dolly2

Hi dawnmc, thanks for reply. My BS quite stable. Still eating carbs but much reduced. Have lost 25lbs since june so I am thinking the change of diet was working. Do you think carbs could be giving me the excess urine problem? I have doctors appointment next week but never hold out much hope with solving any problem I have, so I am relying on the forum.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like classic symptoms before diagnosis.
Are your BS readings normal at night when you get up?

Have you tested for ketone as well, it may be that your kidneys are trying to flush something from your body and dehydrating you which is why you are also thirsty.

It might be worthwhile keeping a diary for the rest of the week with times, BS readings and also roughly what you are drinking. Probably worth including a food diary as well and then take that along when you see your Dr.

Hope you manage to get a good nights sleep soon.

A

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dolly, as you say your bg is stable it could be a water infection, best that you go to your gp and have blood and urine checks done so that they can identify the problem.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have suffered from broken sleep for over a year, according to my GP, I'm hypoglycemic. And I have stopped taking my diabetes medicine, to try and stabilise my condition. It is a symptom of low blood sugar having sleep disruption.
Do you wake up shaking and sweating?
The constant dehydration and urinating is a presymptom of type 2, Are you on the right medication?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted on this subject some time ago Night time toilet visits as I was going 5 or 6 times a night . Someone suggested that my bg levels were high and on testing in the night sure enough they were high in the 13 to 15 range . I decided to sort myself out and went low carb and now things are under control only wake up once at the most . Sort your bg out and it should sort this out as well good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dolly2

Thanks for your thoughts nosher8355. I dont wake up shaking but have found I am sweating more during the night. I am going to ask about either a change of medication or maybe no medication at all to see if this helps. You have been really helpful.
This forum is so good for all of us who sometimes (in spite of lovely family) feel you have no one to speak to about what may be small problems but can get you down

Thanks to all who take the time to reply to all the posts

dolly2

Hi Connie104, I will take your advice and check my bg levels during the night. It does seem as though lowering my carbs may be the way to go. Am happy to try anything to get back to a good nights sleep.
Thanks so much

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dolly2 said:
I was tested back in July but will speak with GP about a further test

July is a good few months back now Dolly and things can change.

Should everything come back fine you might want to look at cutting back on caffeine and acidic foods in your diet, caffeine acts as a diuretic making the kidneys work overtime, acidic foods can aggravate the bladder giving you the sensation that you need to wee all the time, I know from experience eliminating or cutting back on these foodstuffs can make a considerable difference to the times you visit the loo.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I cannot believe that food or high bs could make people wee more!! I eat carbs it doesn't effect me if I drank loads then maybe I'd wee more. I only go about 4 times a day.